Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Better Ie7 Or Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:32 AM

Hi, i am new here.
I have heard much about Mozilla Firefox, I am currently on IE (NOT 7).
Which program are you using?
Why are you using it?
Also what are the pro's and con's of each program?
The most important question, which is the best in terms of security?

Thank you for reading, Help appreciated.

J.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

Hi wwejosh. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Browsers are an individual choice and you will get differing opinions so I would suggest you try them all and see which suits you. You need to use IE for MS related work but you can try FireFox and Opera for your general browsing.

IMO IE7 is a big improvement over v6 and I particularly like the Star Downloader addon. FireFox has 100s of addons to customise it for your use. Personally I prefer Opera 9 for day to day use. They all take security seriously but only time will tell if IE has caught up.

If you have the resources, you can have all three running at the same time which is the easiest way to see which suits you.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:08 AM

It's a more secure browser than IE, as it doesn't use ActiveX comtrols, but Java applets instead.
Also, if a security flaw is discovered (which doesn't happen often), it's usually fixed within a few days, as opposed to the months you have to wait for an IE security patch.

In most instances, you will find Firefox to be a faster browser than IE, especially if you employ pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
The reason it's faster is because Firefox doesn't come pre-loaded with a bunch of features you don't need.
You can run Firefox as lean, or as bloated as you want with the use of extensions, which allow you to customize it the way you want it, not the way someone else thinks it should be.
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Extensions
NOTE:
When adding extensions I'd advise adding one at a time, try it for a couple of days, and if no problems arise, add another.
Sometimes extensions have been known to cause problems, due to incompatabilities, or corrupt downloads.
If you install them one at a time, and test it, it's easier to troubleshoot if one starts causing problems.

Firefox also makes use of a feature called, tabbed browsing, which I really like.
When opening several links at one time, instead of having several windows open, you can open the links in tabs, in the same window.
I've had as many as 30 links open at the same time in one window.
This way, instead of navigating between several open windows to view your open links, you can just click on the tabs to switch between your different links.

You don't have to uninstall IE to use Firefox, or any other browser.
You can use as many browsers as you want, at the same time.
Some times I'll have IE, Firefox, and Opera all open at the same time.
In fact you can't get rid of IE, as you have to use it to get Windows Updates.

I've been using Firefox for several years (since it was known as Firebird), and wouldn't go back to IE for any reason.
I think once you get used to using it, you'll feel the same way.
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
If you don't like it, just uninstall it, that easy.

You can find other alternative browsers here, under the Web Browsers heading:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Try as many as you want, and see which you like best, as they're all free.
For me, if I had to choose just one, it's Firefox, all the way.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

As usual, I have to agree with Tg1911, having used Mozilla suite then FF for several years. Ff certainly is, at least for my internet configuration, the faster browser, and it certainly for anyone is more secure and in many respects, easier to use. Just as importantly, it is NOT a part of the Windows operating system, and this independence makes it safer.
Turn around time for issuing critical patches can be a matter of days, not months or waiting until PatchTuesday each month, and---unlike IE---new improvements are released roughly four times a year instead of once every 5 years (and then because Firefox had taken market share away from IE).

There is nothing stopping you from trying Firefox for a week or two, and making evaluating it for YOUR needs.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

IE is the biggest browser security flaw around.

As a matter of the facts I've uncovered, that's why there is a HijackThis program... catered to IE users.... and sticking around any site that helps people out with HijackThis logs, I'd say approximately 90%+ of the problems I've read were from IE users.

When will people ever learn? Just look at those HijackThis logs.... you'll learn one thing for sure, and that is to not use IE. I'm not saying uninstall it,, but don't use it.

Some people like what they like. IE users with constant problems are like women that get beat up so much by their husbands or such, but are too scared to leave.

If I wasn't a webmaster and I didn't have to compare web sites,,, I'd uninstall my IE. But.. it'll serve as a desperate backup browser for me... just incase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users