Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"the Page Cannot Be Displayed"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:35 AM

Most times when I want to go on the internet using my dialup ISP (AT&T) from my home computer as I wait for the "AT&T Webmail-Microsoft Internet Explorer" webpage to load, the first page to appear is "The Page Cannot Be Displayed". So I click the "Refresh" up top & then the correct page loads. How can I correct this so the right page appears first? This only happens on my home computer. I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 version 2002, Internet Explorer 6.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

Check the filter levels on your firewall and AV.

If Win Xp:
Click Start / Run / type in; cmd/ and at the black command screen type in; ipconfig /flushdns
and/or try:
Start / Run / type in; regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Click OK

You might also try to empty your Temporary Internet Files folder:
Open IE.
Click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click OK.

Also check PC date and time.
Double click the time in the taskbar, to open, and make sure the Time Zone and Daylight Savings settings are also correct.
Some sites block access when you have incorrect time settings.

Also see if this is of any help:
Error message: The page cannot be displayed
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

Still getting the same error message.
This started before I had a firewall & AV so that can't be.
I typed the commands in the Run box as you said & they were successful.
I deleted the files as you said too.
Date & time are correct.
On the Connections tab of Internet Options I do have both AT&T & Netzero in the Dialup & Private Networks box, but AT&T is my default server.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Have you updated, and run your antivirus?
Have you done any online virus scans?
Have you run any Spyware/Malware programs?
What Spyware/Malware programs do you use?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

Yes Yes & Yes to the first three questions. I had to do all that because I just got rid of an I-worm/Stration infection. I use AVG's free 7.1 A-V, McAfee's Guardian firewall,Ewido's 4.0 A-S. I do scans religiously with CWShredder, AdAware SE, Spybot, disk defragmenter, all the recommended scans. This problem I speak of has been going on way before all that I just never addressed it before.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

Have you tried cleaning out your Temporary Internet Files?
Did you try everything in the link I provided, in the previous post?
You can give this a try:
IEFix

See if this will help:
Troubleshooting "Page Cannot Be Displayed" Errors

Edited by tg1911, 07 November 2006 - 09:51 AM.

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

Got the following message when I tried the IEFix:
"Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".
I tired this online & with IE running. Was I supposed to run it offline & with IE closed?
What does this error message mean? I hope I didn't get another infection I just got rid of I-Worm/Stration.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:15 PM

Have you tried a repair of Internet Explorer?
How to Repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express in Windows

I tired this online & with IE running. Was I supposed to run it offline & with IE closed?

It doesn't say specifically, but I would close all running programs, try the fix, then reboot.

DrWatson Postmortem Debugger..... plays a major part in the Windows 2000/XP operating systems. It reports bugs to Microsoft if you choose to send the Error. This helps them find bugs in their software as a whole. It is NOT a virus.

There is no 1 single problem that causes this error, .... Unless it is a recurring problem, it is something you should take lightly and forget about it.

Discussion: DrWatson Round 2

Edited by tg1911, 07 November 2006 - 02:18 PM.

#9 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

It is a recurring problem

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:09 PM

I realize this sounds very elementary, but your "problem" could be the way you go thru shutting down your computer. Try this if you haven't already. Close all programs and wait several seconds before going to start/turn off computer/turn off. Back in my dialup days, I had this same problem.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users