Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does QuickRestore eliminate adware, viruses, etc?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevenbarker

stevenbarker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:44 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 5164 with Windows 98. It has gotten infected with the "only the best" adware and some other other malware too. I haven't been able to eliminate all this malware using adaware, spybot, spyware blaster, etc.

I read the excellent tutorial on this site regarding eliminating spyware, but it looks like a very difficult process that is beyond my abilties.

So here's my question: if I run the Compaq QuickRestore disk that came with my computer, will it eliminate all the malware on my computer? It looks like running the QuickRestore disk would be pretty easy.

Edited by stevenbarker, 21 December 2004 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:23 AM

I don't think QuickRestore will eliminate all presence of the infection. I may be wrong. You could try it, find out. Using QuickRestore shouldn't hurt, I wouldn't think.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:32 AM

Quick Restore allows you to restore your PC to its original factory condition or restore specific drivers or applications. User Backup provides you with extra security by saving your personal data to another location on your hard drive.

That being said I'm not so sure that it will get rid of all your problems.
No matter what you reall should take heed to the instructions in the "Tut." Or you will always face problems. This is a wonderful read by Grinler. I suggest that you read it. :thumbsup:

Simple steps to keep your computer secure

Edited by scarlett, 22 December 2004 - 11:39 AM.

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

If Ad-aware and Spybot won't get rid of it, I would post a HijackThis log in the proper forum.

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, here. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 stevenbarker

stevenbarker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I would like to post a HighjackThis log, but my computer doesn't have the software (Winzip) required to download HighjackThis.

It looks like I can buy Winzip for $29, but my entire computer is probably not worth $29. I was just trying to find out if I can fix the problem with the tools I have at hand (namely, a QuickRestore disk). Any advice is appreciated.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:04 PM

This one is free IZ Soft I like it. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users