Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer And Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike01

mike01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:20 PM

Guys
I,m in the market for a new comp with a reasonably limited buget
Can one of you guys tell me what instructions I should give to the guy building it as there are some shonks
around
I would like recomendations to run vista when it comes and XP in the meantime
I need recomendations on motherboards,CPU,ram etc including part numbers
Intel AMD I dont care much!!!
I,m not a hard core gamer
Cheers Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:10 AM

Well I would say just make sure it has alot of ram and a good graphics cards as Vista is a hog for both parts. 1gb of ram would be the smallest amount I would recommend. But go for more or upgarde when installing Vista.
When you say limited budget what region are we looking in?
also what sort of things will you be using the PC for. Do you want it semi future proof or do you want to have to upgrade it in a couple of years.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

I like this site for it's 3 types of systems that it recommends (the "God" box, the "Hot Rod", and an economy version: http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200608.ars

The God box and HotRod will easily run Vista - I'm also pretty sure that the economy box will also run Vista (but haven't looked at the specs there).

Just remember that Vista is very graphics intensive - so the emphasis should go into good quality graphics systems (with other components that compliment the graphics card).

Edited by usasma, 07 November 2006 - 08:24 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mike01

mike01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

Thanks guys
I,m to spend around $1000.00 (aussie dollars)
Yes I wish to future proof as much as possible
My uses are pretty much everything except hard core gaming
Alhtough I must confess any machine will be better that this old millenium edition with a 15 GB hdd lol
So I am happy with a softly approach as long as the mobo has spare slots (even on board graphics would do for now as long as theres a Pci slot for later
So waddya reckon pay attention to the mobo ????????????
Should the processor be dual core (your thoughts please)??????????
Cheers Mike

#5 mike01

mike01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

USASMA
Thanks for the link mate, I reckon the budget box will be all i need I may be able to do without the
graphics card to save a little for now
oh by the way do you have a link to a $US TO $AUST converter lol
Cheers Mike

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:09 AM

I like this one for currency conversion: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

1,000.00 AUD = 765.235 USD
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users