Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Will Vista Be Offered To The Public?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

With this being another season of giving, Microsoft can not be accused of haven't contributed! Apparently, Microsoft has been working overtime in giving generously to the public. Currently, MS has assumed its altruistic posture in distributing the notorious IE7, and in this midst we mustn't forget VISTA is in the horizon(about 2 month away). Does anybody know how VISTA will be offered to the public? In a form that will overwrite the existing OS?? Or, will it be a clean install?? Is it another (forced fed)unforgettable....? Of course, MS will claim infallibility without fail. Are we all ready so soon after.......? Take care. YOYO. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:44 AM

I am not going anywhere near IE7 or VISTA until all the Guru,s have tried and tested these to a state of exhaustion.With my limited knowledge of computers,I think it would be wise to hold off until then.
On cnet forums, there are nearly 600 posts on IE7, and nearly all negative. :huh:

DSTM.

#3 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:33 AM

DSTM: I am with you- sound decision!! Cheers. YOYO. :huh:

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:54 AM

Glad somebody agrees with me. When you read hundreds of posts and so many users of IE7 disappointed,
I came to the conclusion not to dive in blindly and share in all their headaches. :huh:

Click on the link below for a sample of the general feeling about IE7.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7810-0.html?f...ssageID=2310863

DSTM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:30 AM

Unfortunately, for the last several OS's from Microsoft there have been major "glitches" that detract from the image of the OS.

That being said, it's usually best to wait a bit before adopting new technology - to let it settle down and achieve some sort of stability. Remember hearing about the "Betamax" vs "VHS" competition for video tape machines? There's still lot's of people who bought Betamax systems who are stuck with a format that isn't widely accepted (sorta like trying to get specific software that's compatible with MAC's or Linux).

And, don't forget the SP2 debacle. SP2 was put out to fix problems with the OS (and, IMO, it was a good step) - and the software/driver community didn't keep up with it. The result was a whole bunch of broken PC's - not because of SP2, but because folks were writing software that wasn't compliant with SP2!

These "glitches" are growing pains - either the product will succeed - or it will die a slow, lingering death.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

USASMA SIR: Well said, I couldn't agree more . I am cognizant of MS's history of major glitches in their OS, and the SP2 debacle. What is occurring , it seems to be dejavu again. It appears to be another debacle in their attempt to keep up with the Joneses(FF & Opera). For gain in market share? They are driving up the market share for their competitors(?) as hostile Ex IE7 users are flocking to the safe arms of Firefox!! Their view was that other software companies had ample time to bring their softwares in compliant with IE7, and it is not MS's problem. Clearly, this mindset infers they were cognizant of plethora of incompatibility issues in IE7, yet still acted in a reckless manner in pushing the software out. It did not seem they had the public' interest in heart. Some software companies or web sites may not be in compliant yet; however, knowing this is an apparent critical issue, MS should of have deal with this in a more responsible-productive manner, it is their problem too! Where is accountability?? Of course, it is the infallibility in their character. Presently, I prefer to be a spectator for the foreseeable future and watch them sort out the bugs first before I will join IE7 and VISTA user community. Sadly, it is unpalatable to see all these users' experiencing miles long of challenging issues. I am so happy I did not fall into that abyess. At this juncture, the word of the wise is best to wait a while. Will, USASMA sir: Since you have closer tie with MS, do you know how VISTA will be offered?? Thank you. Regards. YOYO. :huh:

Edited by MGBY, 07 November 2006 - 10:40 AM.

#7 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

I am in the process of testing IE7 and Vista. Although not Vista to the hieghest degree until full launch. I think IE7 is a good change. It has the same functionality as IE6 and can still be customised. It allows the use of tabs and I am only just getting used to it. Get really annoyed by not being able to Alt Tab between windows. Now Ctrl Tab.

Have changed the search bar so that it will automatically pick google rather than the Microsoft site.

In all I am getting used to it nicely. Which is good as I will have to support users with it too when we get to deploymment stage.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#8 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:29 AM

Projectfocus: Do you know how VISTA will be offered to the public??? ............have to support users??..........when we get to deployment stage?? I don't follow you. Thanks. Cheers. YOYO.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

I just read a (single) rumor that Vista will go RTM (Release to Manufacturer's) tomorrow. If so, then it'll probably be on schedule to release to individuals in January.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

since it will probably be released to the public within the first part of 2007, will it be another forced fed??? thanks. YOYO. :huh:

Edited by MGBY, 12 November 2006 - 03:35 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:11 AM

Nope, they want your money - so they'll market the heck out of it!

#12 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

I just read a (single) rumor that Vista will go RTM (Release to Manufacturer's) tomorrow.

and front page on digg.com :huh:
Posted Image

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

It'll be released on TechNet on 17 Nov 06 (10 days after the RTM)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users