Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Kelly's Korner Fixes Work With Ie7?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

I installed IE7 and all went well. Could connect to internet and surf fine. But the install "broke" Windows XP Help and Support. When I tried to access via Start, Help & Support, the window did not open up. Yet Task Manager showed it running! Tried to open it via Run, HelpCtr.exe, but again the window would not open and Task Manager showed 2 copies running! I manually ended both in TM. Then I uninstalled IE7 via Add/Remove to revert to IE6 (which went OK) and Help & Support window opened up fine. So the file is not corrupt & the problem is definitely related to IE7. Broadband Reports forums says IE7 is known to sometimes break Help & Support.

I'd really like to try to install IE7 again, but I will only do so if there is a way to get the Help and Support feature to work (I do a lot of knowledgebase searches). Anybody know of a workaround or fix for this bug ? Or would I have to wait until MS gets around to offering a fix through Windows Updates?

There is a Kelly's Korner "Restore Help and Support" fix a member recommended to another user, but would those fixes work for IE7? Or were they written so they would only work with IE6?
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

Could you provide a link to the thread in question?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

Sure, John, TG1911 recommended it in this thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70986/help-and-support-not-working/

Edited by buttoni, 07 November 2006 - 07:43 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

Here's a screenshot of what Search, HelpCtr rendered (having reverted to IE6 now):

Posted Image

Wish I had thought to get a screenshot of the same search while I still had the IE7 installed! Why is hindsight always 20/20?

Edited by buttoni, 07 November 2006 - 07:44 PM.

#5 pancake

pancake

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

Hi buttoni,

I had the exact same issue with IE7 breaking Help and Support. I wish I'd seen this topic last night before I spent an hour researching and trying to fix the problem. I was wary of the solution offered by Kelley's Korner because it is dated and offered as a fix to XP and XP SP1.

I contacted MS IE7 phone support an hour ago and their only solution was to remove IE7, (which I did) and to "keep checking back with us, we're still working on the kinks."

Help and Support is working again on my system and I've had to refuse the Automatic Update which popped up as soon as I restarted. :thumbsup:

I use FF as my main browser, but on those occasions when its neccessary to use IE, I'd like to have access to the more secure and latest version. If you find a solution to this problem please post it here.

*As an aside, I came here looking for the safe settings guide for IE6 that I'd used in the past, because it appears some of my settings have changed since removing IE7.

Could someone kindly point me to that information on BC?

Regards

#6 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

Pancake, I'll be happy to post any solution if I shoud stumble on a workaround. I, like you, would like to install the latest version, but not until it's working a lot better than this one is on my system. Like you, I was unwilling to try the Kelly's fix until someone could confirm it wouldn't mess things up even worse.

Glad you were able to revert to IE6 successfully (not everyone has) and that your H & S is working once again.
I went to WindowsUpdate and unchecked the IE7 offering under Custom Install and checked the Do Not Show This Update Again box. Thanks for sharing Microsoft's phone response with members. Not surprised, personally. When they have "the kinks worked out" I'll go back & unhide it and give it a second chance. For now, I turned off Automatic Updates & will check manually everyday for any updates to insure it doesn't try to install itself. I also installed the Tool to Block the Auto Install of IE7, just to be safe, available at :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by buttoni, 08 November 2006 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users