Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Install Java On Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

Ok first of all how many ubuntus and javas are there :cool: ? I currenlty have Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy) or wat ever it is. I installed automatix and theres a program called Frostwire i want to download, i tried downloading it thinking it would be simple. Then i got a message in the automatix install thing saying that it couldnt detect java and the installation was aborted.

I have read through hundreds of sites on HOW TO INSTALL jAVA and i just cant figure out how to do it!!!!!!!!! Im a noob to the linux world and am starting out with Ubuntu. I pretty much know no commands and i really need help installing java becuase i really like ubuntu so can anyone give me some simple steps that my kind can follow to install java??

I am also getting this error message when i try to open up synaptic package manager "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. "

Can any one tell me how to fix this problem cause i have NO idea to what it means. Im gana go back into he world of google and try to learn simple linux commands. In the meen while can any one PLZ HELP ME!!!

I also have one more question what type of pc do i have i386, powerpc, or a x64 im not really sure the pc i want to install the java for ubuntu is a windows xp home edition, emachines, 80GB hdd, 1GB RAM, and the processor is amd semphron processor

THNX TO ANY HELP!

I DONT WANT TO END UP DOING THIS! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

Edited by zemoman, 06 November 2006 - 07:37 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
Try going to the above site and run the test. I believe it will recommend and install the correct Java for Linux.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:42 PM

I cant test it becuase i have to download a plugin to be abl eto do the test (which is a java plugin) and when i tryto download it it doesnt work!!!!!! :thumbsup: Idk whats the prob with this can u plz help me fix this!
ROOTKITS BAD!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

Have you tried the procedures mentioned here?

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/firefox-l...ml#install-java
How do I install Java?
If your distribution doesn't include it, Download and install JRE 1.4.2 or later. After your JRE is installed, open a terminal, change to your Mozilla Firefox plugins directory, and issue the following command:

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./libjavaplugin_oji.so

If you are not using Sun JRE 1.5.0_09, and/or you installed your JRE at a different location, you will need to modify the command accordingly. Do not copy the plugin, otherwise Firefox will crash if you try viewing a page containing a Java applet.

Further information, including known issues, is available from the Java FAQ.

[Download Sun JRE 5.0 Update 9]

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:37 PM

Use either synaptic or Automatix2. They both have Java on them. Do a search for "Java" in synaptic, you just scroll down for it in Automatix2. Either way, they do it for you. It's suns fault for making Java near impossible for entry level users to install. Don't sweat it, I still find Java installation the old fashioned way complicated and confucing...Sun did that on purpose I think....
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#6 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

I know this may be a stupid question (its since im a NOOB at ubuntu) is how do i change to my firefox directory in the terminal because toinstall java its asking me to do that
ROOTKITS BAD!

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:16 AM

It is done with the command "cd" (minus the ""). it should look something like this;

cd /home/username/firefox

then you hit enter. Of course this line wont work for you, because I doubt you have your computer set up as username and I doubt ff is located in /home/username/firefox. To find out where it is, this is a great time to use that search function located in one of the menus on top of your destop screen. Once it's found, just copy it's location, go back to terminal and type the cd the use the edit/paste command. then hit enter. If you did it right, the prompt will change to reflect the new directory your in. ie...

under normal terminal in Ubuntu you see this:
ubuntu@username-desktop:~$

If you do it right, it should look like;
ubuntu@/filename/filename/filename/firefox:~$

clear as mud?
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users