Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Card

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

I am looking to get a 1 gig ram card DDR pc 3200, 184 pin. I was looking through newegg and found one for only $76.99. I also found at my mall, in a best buy a 1 gig ram card DDR pc 3200, 184-pin for around 160$. Why is there such a big difference in price? I know the one off of newegg might not be the best, but for that price I might get two, and for basically the same price.

Here is the link for the product http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820161626 Anyone see any problems? The reviews look pretty good too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

because best buy is the devil and likes extorting you. Also could be a difference in the quality of ram.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

Ya i noticed a lot of there stuff is really expensive. Well i'm willing to get it even if it is a cheaper card for that price. Thanks for the help
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

I thought the name was Best Lie

check this link http://www.bestbuysux.org/

seriously, I only buy computer items on line all the local retailers have rippoff prices.

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 November 2006 - 09:34 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

Hi Sterling14,
You should NOT skimp on the quality of RAM.
I'd suggest you go here to Corsair and use the config tool determine the proper piece then shop for that if you like.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

I would buy RAM from one of these three companys:
(just plug in your specs, they'll give you options)

Crucial
Kingston
Corsair

There are such things as cheap , ninety day , or generic RAM, which is actually sold, and doesn't meet the minimum standards of the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council), for use in computers. But it is still sold, and un-informed people, still buy it.

RAM can generally be divided into a few classes:
(Excepting Performance or Overclockers RAM, which is made to the highest tolerances)

Premium or Lifetime Warranty: This RAM is made from Identical chips, all tested and meeting the assemblers standards, all from the same chip manufacturer and lot.
The capacitors and resistors are of the highest standard, and exceed the JEDEC standard, and all are installed on a circuit board which is thicker than required .
The final product is tested to confirm that it is stable at the rated speed.

One Year Warranty: Very close, but may include memory chips from different batches, although still the same manufacturer.
The circuit board tends to be at least one ply thinner, and the resistors and capacitors may have more variance.
These still meet the JEDEC standards, and are tested to make sure they are stable at the specified speed.

OEM: These are intended for sale to a manufacturer, not for resale, although they are often sold retail.
Often if you buy two sticks, you will find that they have memory chips from different manufacturers.
They still meet standards (the chips are certified to meet the manufacturers specifications), but are often yet another ply thinner, and once again, may have more variance in the tolerance of resistors and capacitors, and may use fewer, than on higher quality RAM.

Generic or 90 Day RAM: This is the lowest quality you will generally encounter.
Often these are made of leftover chips; ones salvaged from returned and failed RAM,
RAM designed to run at a higher speed which failed and became unstable.
They're put on really thin boards, which do not meet the JEDEC standard.
They rarely have even the minimum number, and quality of resistors and capacitors, recomended by the JEDEC .

Also, if you touch the RAM anywhere except the edges, you should know that the oils and salts in your skin are corrosive, and will eventually damage the ram.
And if you touch it without observing anti-static precautions, you can cause damage, which may show up immediately, or somewhere down the line.

This is why I always recommend that you spend the extra money to buy Quality Name Brand RAM with a lifetime warranty.
I also prefer to buy all RAM at one time when possible, and at a minimum, make sure it has identical specifications (easiest method, make sure it is same manufacturer and model).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:18 AM

I thought the name was Best Lie

check this link http://www.bestbuysux.org/

seriously, I only buy computer items on line all the local retailers have rippoff prices.

I didn't find all their prices horrible. Got a MX518 mouse their extremely cheap, and there's no shipping. But RAM, vidoe cards, other componatns I suggest buying online. Things like keyboards, mice, monitors and such are usuauly priced pretty well at Best buy and you can test them out. But I agree on their RAM prices, their AGP X1600 Pro's are like 229$ CDN at Bestbuy.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:23 AM

I have to say ebay is always a good option to have a look to see what the price comparisons are. Just make sure it is new condition. You should be fine. Only a option but you can normally pick it up a fair few pieces of silver cheaper.

Well in UK anyway.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the replies! Well i looked at that ram again and noticed they raised the price up 20 dollars :thumbsup: but it does have a one year warranty on it so I guess it can't be that bad. I'll still look around though I'm not getting it until Christmas anyways.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Some BestBuy prices are good, some aren't - depends on what they've gotta pay for them.

Generally tho' - you'll get a better deal for the same product by shopping online.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users