Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls Reqd?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cambone

cambone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

:thumbsup: Hey all u bleepers! Just had to throw a few questions out in the Anti-virus and Firewall forum. I have the following loaded to detect and try to clean viruses:

• AVG Free Edition
  • RegCure
  • XoftSpySE
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy

My young son likes to play a lot of games and go onto interactive sites such as Runescape. I am a typical bloke and peruse everything.

1) Will a firewall assist in keeping us safe? If so, can u recommend some names?
2) What are the best Antivirus software for these type of internet activities?

Any help from u guys would be really appreciated.

Cheers from the Land-Down-Under,
Cambone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:11 PM

The pinned topics at the top of this forum are a good place to start:
Simple steps to keep your computer secure!
and
Virus & Malware Resources
and
Bleeping Computer's Tutorial's
You can search the tutorials for many subjects on how to keep yourself more safe.

Once you arm yourself some more, if you have more specific questions we will be more than happy to help. This should keep you busy for an hour or so, soaking up some great information. :thumbsup:

Also let me say Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :flowers:

Be (WWW) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:37 AM

Answers:
1. Yes, a firewall is your computer's first line of defence. There are several excellent free firewalls in the topic noted by Animal.
2. AVGFree is a very good anti-virus. They also have a free anti-spyware application that you might consider using. I would also use Ad-AwareSE. Because each anti-spyware application looks for a slightly different set of malware, having several is always a smart idea.

Young people on line tend to believe that everyone is who they say they are and every download is safe. Your best defence against malware is to educate your son about not giving out information (including game passwords) or clicking on links in game chats. However well policed, on line games can be unsafe places for the trusting and uncautious.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users