Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grrr Windows Me Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KoolAidQueen

KoolAidQueen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

Ok I got this computer last month at a store that refurbishes computers for 150 it worked fine for four weeks. The computer didn't come with any disks so i cant even just wipe it and start over which i would love to do. I talked to the store that i got it from but they said it will cost me 80 to wipe it and reinstall windows because they say it is my fault (even though they have never looked at the thing)

Suddenly one day it did a windows update which uninstalled my broadband modem and seriously messed up my computer seriously.
I had to uninstal the windows updates and uninstal my broadband modem then reinstall the modem but when i get the windows update it uninstalls the modem.
In the meantime my computer has been under attack from pop ups etc.
I tried to follow the hijack post but i installed the ad-aware program and it scans and finds 73 differant things but when i click to delete them it quarantines them but when it goes to delete them the screen just hangs there, then it causes an error in explorer then an error in rundll32 and then the whole computer crashes :thumbsup:

I do have spybot search and destroy it does run without a problem.

I also have a-squared anti-malaware but it only does the quick scan, the other scans start then the whole computer restarts.

There are alot of other problems with the computer too for example there are two start up rundll errors...i really would just like to get this computer back in working order can anyone help me?

thank you

Sarah aka KoolAidQueen
KoolAidQueen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

Have you tried running Ad-aware in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

See if any of these helps:
Why does Ad-Aware freeze during a scan?
Ad-Aware becomes unresponsive during a file system scan
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 KoolAidQueen

KoolAidQueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

after you posted this is what i did:

thorough scandisk
defrag
followed instructions on post to the letter
ran adaware in safe mode

ad aware still caused an error in Explorer and rundll32
it completed the scan quarantined everything but then it just hung there on the delete screen

can you still help me?

KoolAidQueen aka Sarah
KoolAidQueen

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

Are you using the latest version of Ad-aware? (Ad-aware SE Personal, Build 1.06rt)
Are you using the latest Definitions file? (SE1R130 06.11.2006)

See if there's anything in this thread that helps:
Unable to complete scan

If this doesn't help, I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.

Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it more difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!
If you can't complete one of the scans suggested, just skip it, and move on to the next step.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, >at this link<.
Do not, post it in this topic.
Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 KoolAidQueen

KoolAidQueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:29 AM

Hi,

I was in the middle of doing the list to post the hijack this thing and my computer seriously crashed, it has taken me 8 hours to get it to the point where it will start up and get online i am terrified to touch it...please help me i dont know what to do now

Koolaidqueen
KoolAidQueen

#6 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:11 PM

if you have system restore running and didnt change the specs of it,you could use sytem restore and restore it back to before the problems

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

There's the possibility that your computer has faulty memory, and/or not enough memory. I've run into some of those lately and the operating system just gets corrupted. It wouldn't be an uncommon problem because memory for older computers is always in short supply.

My first recommendation is that you find out what the Windows Key is for your particular system. Magical Jellybean Keyfinder is an excellent tool for this. Then, if you can find someone else who has a Windows ME disk, you have the option to do a repair install. Unfortunately Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, declined to put a System File Checker in Windows ME. Instead, there is a more complicated "protected file system" that doesn't always work so good. But at least, if you have the Windows key, you can find a disk somewhere and re-install the system without depending on the shop that charges nearly as much to re-install as they do for the machine.

As already mentioned, there is a chance that System Restore will help you, if it's been turned on.

#8 shawnplr

shawnplr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:26 AM

Try stinger as described in the instructions you may want to turn off restore. After you download and turn off restore restart in safe mode. You may also want to try Spybot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users