Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Processor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mk chuck

mk chuck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

Im just an every day user on the old PC,maybe getting a new one. What is the best and most reliable make of processor??, Intel or AMD?? Iwould appreciate any help on this point!.

Thanks. mk chuck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

Intel Celeron D? decent processor and really cheap.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:17 PM

Its all opinion... right now, Intel's double core processors are probably the best, but they're so expensive that I don't think they're worth it. I perfer AMD... but thats only cause I've used them my whole life. But like I said, Its all opinion. I would research and find out what one would do whatever you are going to do on your pc better.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:21 AM

If the computer's just being used for basic computer uses, a Pentium 4, Celeron D would be good and extremly cheap. AMD Athlon 64's would be just as good.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:07 AM

Reliability wise, there isn't a difference between AMD and Intel. The differences are in performance, price, and value. That being said, Celeron D is absolutely horrible. It is cheap, but painfully slow.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

If you're not looking for anything special, then I'd suggest that you shop for service. Most any processor that you get will last the lifetime of the PC - so shopping for something that you don't have to worry about is a plus.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

I've owned an intel, amd and a celeron D. All have done just fine, and I believe that if you're just going to do the "typical" everyday computer use, like browsing the internet, viewing the photos that people send you on email, the occassional card game or online games (flash, java etc.), word processing (writing letters with MS Word) and viewing videos, than a Celeron D will do you just fine. If you're going to get into games, then you might want to go with something faster, like an intel or amd, and a good graphics card.

TBH, I've got a celeron D (2.93 ghz 533mhz fsb) and it works fine. I play some high end games too, like farcry, LOTR, CnC Zero Hour, guild wars and F.E.A.R. all in the highest settings, and my computer doesn't lag. Of course, I have a good graphics card too.

Depending on your need, you'll have to make an educated decision :thumbsup: For people who just want to browse the internet and do basic, non graphic intensive or 3D intensive programs, I usually recommend that they get a cheap Dell for about $400. It does just fine for what most people do.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:15 AM

Intel....a cheap one... or AMD if u like...

Intel Celeron or AMD Sempron...AMD runs hotter though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users