Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seraph_harim

seraph_harim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hey all! I've been really on the fence about upgrading my video card. With my system specs, I'm just not sure if I want to just upgrade my video card, and pray for a better gaming experience that is worth just the upgrade, or if I should just wait and build a new system (probably on the AM2 archetecture).

My system is as follows.

Processor: AMD XP 2400 (Stock Cooler, Socket A)
Mobo: Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus
Video Card: XFX Gefore FX5200 (256MB GDDR)
RAM: 1GB (512MBx2) PC-3200
Sound Card: Onboard
Optical Drives: Lite-On 16x/48xDVDRW
Lite-On 52xCDRW
Hard Drives: Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM IDE
Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA-IDE/133 Drive

If I upgrade, I would still be looking to rebuild about six months down the line, but I'd reaaaally like to play
Oblivion without using the Old-Blivion mod. I'd be looking at spending about $150 (I'm flexible) depending on whether or not its worth it. Played Oblivion on my sisters laptop, and that was on medium...I'd be happy with medium. :thumbsup: I'd REALLY appreciate any advice given.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

Guessing your FX card is AGP. If so, I would recomend waiting and gettin a new system with PCI-Express, as AGP is on it's last legs.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 seraph_harim

seraph_harim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:37 AM

Yeah, it's AGP 4x/8x......

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

I'd save your money and try and build a Core 2 or AM2 system.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users