Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sydman1673

sydman1673

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

Hey guys, I was trying to remove some programs from start up to help my computer start up faster. I am running on windows 2000. I used msconfig but it is not working. I used that for my XP program and it worked fine. am just wondering if there is another command used for windows 2000 and what is it?

(Moderator edit: added topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 07 November 2006 - 11:59 AM.

Education is a life long experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

I'm not familiar with Windows 2000, so I can't comment on using msconfig but, have you tried going into the individual programs options, and seeing if there is a way to disable them from running at startup?

Do you use Spybot S&D?
If so, it has a Startup Manager.
Open Spybot.
On the tool bar, at the top left, click Mode.
Select Advanced Mode.
A box will open, asking if you want to go to Advanced Mode, click Yes.
On the left, at the bottom, click the Tools bar.
Select System Startup.

This lists all the programs set to run at startup.
Information on each entry can be obtained by highlighting the entry (single click), then clicking on the set of double arrows on the far right.
If there's no information on the entry, you can check it with the Startup List located on the tab at the top of the forum pages.

Note:
Always research an entry before stopping it. Stopping the wrong entry could cripple a necessary program, causing problems.

Remove the check from anything you want to stop from running at startup.
If you have TeaTimer running, a box will pop up asking if you want to allow this change.
Click Allow change.
Do this for every entry you want to stop running at startup.
When finished, close Spybot.

If you don't use Spybot, a good, free program, that just manages startups, is Startup Control Panel.

Edited by tg1911, 06 November 2006 - 03:49 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

You are much better off using something other than MSCONFIG to handle your startup applications, whether you use XP or 2000. Spybot's tool is a good way to control startups.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

thanx guys. will try that and see how it works. DO I remove my norton or is it ok to leave it?

#5 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

Hey guys, I was trying to remove some programs from start up to help my computer start up faster. I am running on windows 2000. I used msconfig but it is not working.

Hi sydman:

Msconfig.exe is not a valid Win32 application and, so far as I know, doesn't exist in Win2K, at least not in mine.

If you want a really super program to control startups you should download CODESTUFF STARTER. I've used it for years. It's perfectly safe and has always worked flawlessly.

Here is the snapfiles entry on CODESTUFF at:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Starter/starter.html

Starter

manage your startup programs

Our Rating: 5 stars (Excellent)

Starter is yet another startup manager, that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items as well. You can choose to safely disable selected entries, edit them or delete them altogether (if you know what you re doing). Expert users can even add their own entries. Nice interface, easy to use, no documentation though (but hardly needed).

Freeware
Product Details

Starter Publisher CodeStuff
File Size 654 kb
Version 5.6.2.0 (history)
Last updated May 18, 2006
License Freeware
Windows Win (All)

Try it and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Cheers,

scratcher.

Edited by scratcher, 07 November 2006 - 10:33 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#6 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

thanx man. I did try it and it worked perfectly well.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:27 PM

Windows 98 came with msconfig and so does XP. But not 2000.

You can add it, though. See THIS.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users