Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving A Hard Drive To Another Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rorgath

Rorgath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:52 PM

HELP! My computer fried and I need to move my hard drive with Windows XP PRO to another PC. When I try, I get an error message

Stop 0x0000007B

So far I have looked this up in Microsoft and got instructions to use Mergeide. This hasn't worked, since the original PC is dead. Is there any other way to accomplish this? I can hook the drive up with an external hard drive enclosure so I have access to all the files.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
[font=Book Antiqua]Volunteer at your local Fire Department or Rescue Squad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

Moving a hard drive:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rorgath

Rorgath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:43 AM

John,

Thanks for the reply, looks like this might do the trick. Seems very thorough and detailed.
[font=Book Antiqua]Volunteer at your local Fire Department or Rescue Squad

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

John,

Thanks for the reply, looks like this might do the trick. Seems very thorough and detailed.

I hope this is true and works for you, my experience in this situation is that the registry knows the chipset from the other motherboard and causes errors in the registry when it can't find the information it's used to seeing on the new motherboard. This is why they suggest that you go through the process of the upgrade with the new board.

If you have the XP OS CD and proper product code I would just wipe the drive and do a reinstallation. If you have already installed it with the new motherboard without going through the suggested procedure you may have already damaged the registry and have no other option.

Good luck.

usasma, there's some good suggestion in that article, I bookmarked it for furture use.

Edited by dc3, 09 November 2006 - 10:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

I've used the techniques in the article before with good success. I've also done it without it - and it caused havoc with my system. The fix for that is a repair install (but that's a whole lotta time).

One other piece of advice that I've used with good results is to remove all hardware devices that aren't present on the new system before shutting down for the last time on the old system. Then, when you boot for the first time on the new system, Windows should take care of recognizing all of the new hardware on it's own.

IMO, this will work OK - but if it's completely different hardware it may cause Windows to become confused and stop working altogether. I have tried this on my own systems - but my systems are generally made out of similar hardware, so Windows doesn't get a challenged with recognizing my hardware (Asus mobo's, nVidia based graphics cards, Intel processors, etc) But in the end, if it does "tank" on you, the solution is the good old repair install.

The primary advantage of this is that it lets you keep the same security descriptors on the system - and won't mess up your access to older data that was done on the old system (and using NTFS). With FAT32, this won't be a problem - but it's enough of a pain that I prefer the repair install to a clean install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users