Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Find Compatable Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ftmom17

ftmom17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hello All!
I was given a "broken" 2 year old Dell Dimension 2300. The computer would power up and immediately shut off, I went through Dell support and they decided it was the motherboard, new mobo from Dell (3T237) is $120, I checked ebay and there were several reconditioned Dell 3T237 motherboards listed for sale - I won one and low and behold it doesn't work! The seller refunded my purchase price - but I am concerned about replacing the board with another Dell board. How do I find out which boards are "interchangeable" with each other - is there a "book" I could check like in the auto parts store when you look up what oil filter your car requires? :thumbsup: (good analogy?) Anyway any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks!!
Ftmom17

Mod Edit: Closed font tags. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 07 November 2006 - 02:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

Dell motherboards tend to have a weird mounting pin layout that most other motherboards won't line up with. So chances are you'll unfortunately need to get a new mobo from Dell.

Sorry, but I'm not a Dell fan. It took them 8 months to send me a new hard drive for my laptop after the old one died suddenly.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

What The Who has is right, the pin configuration of the Dell power supply connector is not the standard ATX. This means having to stay with a Dell board, but after doing some looking around you may be able to use other Dell boards, like the boards from the 2350 and 2400. You would have to check with Dell to be certain, but it could provide you with more options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ftmom17

ftmom17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for your advice!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users