Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Startup Caused By Antivirus/spyware Programs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodyfinger

Bloodyfinger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

Hey! Just wondering if it's common that AVG antivirus and antispyware can slow down the startup of your computer to the point where it takes about twice the ammount of time? I'm running a Core 2 Duo E6600 with 2 gigs of pc800 ram but it's taking like 3 minutes to boot whereas it used to take about 30 seconds..... Is this plausible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

It is plausible but I know from experience AVG is a very fast setup and update and does not substantially increase the loading time. I would have a look at the services you have to run at startup.

Also is it slower before windows gets to welcome screen or after that. Have you tried a disk cleanup and defrag.
Posted Image

#3 Bloodyfinger

Bloodyfinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

it's really fast to get to the login screen then when I click on my username (I'm the only user btw) it goes to the desktop but is still loading and I can't really do anything because it's still accessing the hd.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:04 PM

Sounds like it is more of a seek time issue with the disk. Does the disk make any clicking noises. Have you tried running the chkdsk /r function from comand prompt. Also try the Disk Cleanup and Defrag. They may help.
Posted Image

#5 Bloodyfinger

Bloodyfinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

Cool, I'll check it out. I think it may just be a boot up issue because once it's done loading my computer runs smooth as butter. I've already defragged.

#6 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:02 PM

You might give Bootvis a try to speed up your startup time. Please click Here for the download.

Posted Image

Edited by Bear, 06 November 2006 - 02:16 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Do you have any automatic scans set up? Sometimes having an AV scan your computer when you boot is the cause of the problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users