Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With "back"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Dunno if it's the board software or my browser - but when I go back (Alt - left arrow keyboard combo) I get a screen of gibberish. The next "back" will take me to the previous page that I was posting on (so it appears that "back" works for individual topics - but not for the forum listings (either topics or other forum lists).

Also, I've got new mouse drivers - so they may be contributing to the problem. I'll post more as I isolate it further.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

don't know whether this problem is solved yes or no..Which browser do you use?

#3 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:11 AM

Sorry for the delay, I must've deleted the email notification by mistake.

I use Firefox. Found some more details out today.

It occurs in XP and in Vista. It occurs in Firefox and did occur in IE6. I haven't tested it in IE7 yet.

It's only an occasional thing when I use the "Back" command. If I use the links to navigate everything works fine. At times it will also mark quite a few of the links as unread while I'm replying to topics - then will show some (but not all) of my posts as unread - and that's even when I'm the last poster in a thread.

It doesn't happen on http://help.lockergnome.com, but they've since upgraded to a newer version of the Invision Power Board software.

Edited by usasma, 09 December 2006 - 09:13 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:27 AM

Usama, when you say gibberish what do you mean?

#5 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:49 PM

It's code - as if the page wasn't properly rendered in the browser. It hasn't happened in the last few days (but I've also switched over to Vista in the meantime).

I will occasionally get a similar (but lesser) error where the page doesn't fully develop, and the formatting will be way off. A refresh usually cures this, so I don't expect that it's related.

The next time that it happens, I'll catch a screenshot of it.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

Sorry to interupt, but I've had a somewhat similar problem. When I view a profile, and then hit the back button, it will take me to an earlier post that I've read or posted. It happens with IE6 and FF2. Oddly enough, it doesn't happen with all profiles. Like usasma, when use the links to navigate, it's fine. If I hit the back button, it takes me back to a few pages ago to a topic or post that I've already been on instead of the previous page I was on.

Ok, I just opened up a new window, brought up my home page, clicked on favorites, selected BleepingComputer.com, loaded the page, clicked on my own name (in "members online" in board stats area) and it took me to my profile. I clicked back, and it went to a post that I did maybe 10-15 minutes ago. I hit back again and it took me to my home page. Clicking forward brought me to that post, and forward again brought me to my profile. I closed the window and opened it again, went to BC and clicked on usasma's profile. Clicked back and it brought me back to that same post. Closed the window, went back to BC, clicked on D-Trojanator's profile, hit back, and it brought me back to the previous page like it's suposed to! :flowers:

It does this on 2 different computers: Work running xp pro sp2 IE6, and home running xp pro sp2 running FF2. Also 2 different ISP's.

Not sure if this will help you at all Grinler, but figured that I'd try to help some. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Correction, that post that it brings me back to I made almost 2 hours ago (1 hr 50 minutes roughly), and since I made that post, I've closed and opened IE6 a few times. Not sure if any of this helps, but I'd rather give to much info than not enough. Sorry!

Edited by stevealmighty, 20 December 2006 - 09:08 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:18 AM

This really should not have anything to do with the site. When you use the back button on a browser it will try to read it from cache. Not sure why these things are happening.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

Ok, got it! Was just trying to help! I didn't know if it had something to do with the site or not!

Thanks! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:44 AM

I've been pushing all the buttons that used to do this - and it appears that it's fixed now. No problems that I can see. I can use the Back command and all is as it should be.

The only remnant that I can see is the icon to the left of the Windows XP forum in the main page. It stubbornly refuses to acknowledge that all posts are "read" and I must click on it to clear it. The other forums don't behave this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users