Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Reboots Its Self Within A Couple Of Minutes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Duncan100974

Duncan100974

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

Hi All. This is my first post on this forum so thanks for taking the time to help me.

Whenever I play a game (C&C generals, Battlefield Vitnam, BF2, Half life 2, Rome Total War), Play a CD in Media player or basically do anything that makes my PC work a liitle bit it re boots - normally within a couple of minutes.
Here's my spec

Abit AW8
Intel Pentium Duo 3.0 Ghz
1 Gb RAM
Geforce FX 7600
Maxtor 250 GB Harddrive
O/S - XP Pro SP2 Fully patched

I don't get a blue screen or anything like that it just re boots like I've used Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I've ran memtest86 and it passes.
I have wiped the hard drive and re-installed XP 4 times and obviously updated drivers etc. I have unchecked the Auto restart in my computer - Properties, but it still persists.

If you need anymore info please let me know,
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:17 AM

Have you checked the temperatures of your system components? Hard drives, mobo, cpu, vid card, etc?

Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you installed the drivers for your system after reinstalling XP? Motherboard/chipset, video, network card or modem, sound, etc?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

Do all fo these games run from the CD drive. As I have noticed that all the stuff you mentioned it crashes from are from CD. Maybe worth looking for update drivers for the CD drive. Or it could be the CD drive in general.

I would say the spec of the PC is good and that should be nothing to worry about. That should be able to handle most things you throw at it.
Posted Image

#4 Duncan100974

Duncan100974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Hi There usaasma & Projectfocus.

Thanks very much for your very quick replies. I've check temperatues and all is a ok!. Drivers are all up to date.

heres the error i keep getting in the event viewer

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Any help would be great again.

Thanks

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

See if this helps:
Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:41 AM

Here's another link to the error message: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7f

Most commonly this is a hardware failure - and of the failures, the most common is a memory failure.

So, try this free tool to check your memory (follow the directions exactly): http://www.memtest86.com/

Let the test run for at least 2 hours (overnight is better). But, if you start getting errors immediately - shut the test down and start looking for deals on memory. (actually, if you've got more than one stick of memory, you can test them one by one to find the bad one).

Let us know how the test turns out and we can go from there.

Edited by usasma, 08 November 2006 - 09:42 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Duncan100974

Duncan100974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for your help with this, I'll run memtest 86 tonight on 1 stick, then run it on the other whilst at work.

I did run it whilst both sticks were in but only dor 1 pass and it came out with no errors. But I'll try the overnight test.

I'll post the result in a couple of days. If this comes out ok, would you suggest replacing them anyway?
Also the XP pro I'm using is my own copy but it's from when XP first came out so when I do a fresh install I have to download SP2 and do a hell of a lot of updating. Could this be a potential issue?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

If they don't show errors - why replace them?

The other hardware test that you can run is a free utility called SpeedFan (available here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php )

Install it on your system and check the temperatures (look for anything over 50 C) - then click on the SMART tab and check to see if there are any problems with your hard drive.

For now we'll have to presume that it's not an OS or driver problem (since you've reinstalled them).

The next thing is compatibility - what have you added to your system recently that may have caused this?

Sometimes (in the Event Viewer) there'll be a filename listed with the error code. Was there any such mention in your Event Viewer log? Are there any more errors? Sometimes a combination of errors will help to point out the area that's causing the error.

#9 Duncan100974

Duncan100974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:19 AM

Hi

After running memtest for hours (talking 10 hours plus on each 512mb stick) no errors at all. So I took the decision to wipe the hard drive (for the 5th time) and re-install XP again!. However, this time I had a plan to this test. As my version of XP pre date SP1 I thought I'd install, update drivers for graphics, LAN, bus and audio only and test it on a game. LOW and BEHOLD it worked!!! No crashes and ran like a dream.

This points in the direction of a driver issue to me, so the next part of my master plan is to update XP to SP2 then test again. I WILL NOT BE INSTALLING ANY ANTI-VIRUS at this stage (behind a hardware firewall). I think it's either Norton or SP2 that's messing the drivers, so not putting the anti-christ (sorry mean Anti-Virus) on will identify the culprit.

Will post again with an update once SP2 is on.

Just like to say that usasma, tg1911 and projectfocus have been great in helping me check my hardware to aid in identifying the problem. Without forums like this, people like me would not learn new things. Keep up the work in helping to enpower the masses. I will be contributing to this site to help keep it running.

Thanks again chaps! :thumbsup:

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

Leave the Norton until last!

Generally I recommend this sequence:
1) Install Windows XP (not connected to the web)
2) Update Windows XP (connect only as long as it takes to do the updates)
3) Install motherboard/chipset, video, and network drivers with the latest available version from the manufacturer. (downloaded before you start the installation)
4) Install your security apps.

Here's a list of good, free replacements for the different Norton stuff:
Anti-virus: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28415/lng/us/tpl/v5
Anti-spyware: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Firewall: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_...Free_d3356.html

#11 Duncan100974

Duncan100974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:08 AM

Hi

All works fine until I install the USB 2.0 drivers and then it crashes again!!!

I have performed a system restore back to before doing this and it's working fine again.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

Well, then don't use USB 2.0! (just kidding!)

This could be a physical problem with the USB ports (although I can't figure out why). If the mobo is new, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer/reseller for an RMA.

#13 Duncan100974

Duncan100974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

After installing a program to transfer music to my sony erricson phone W810i, (the program is disc2phone and is from sony) it's crashing again.

Could this be a power problem?

I have a 500 watt PSU, however it came with the case and it's unbranded.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

Have you updated to SP2 yet and where did you get the driver for the graphics card - from the manufacturer or Windows Updates?

How is the ram configured?

Is it installed so it has exactly the same configuration in each channel?

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 November 2006 - 06:55 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

To find out if it's a power problem you can try using a powered USB hub

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users