Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sp2 Installation Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TarenDrake

TarenDrake

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:21 AM

This is the 4th time i've tried to install sp2 on my computer. each time, it seems to freeze during the set up process. each time during the clean up process.
the three times previous i've just back out, uninstalled everything and decided to retry at a different date.
now that support for sp1 has ended, i figure, only thing left to do is do the sp2 thing.
can someone help me figure out whats happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:36 AM

Make SURE your computer is clean of all malicious software first! SP2 won't install correctly in an infected machine.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:12 AM

Make sure that you've installed updated drivers for all of your hardware devices (particularly the motherboard/chipset drivers and the video drivers). SP2 is very stable - but pre-SP2 drivers don't react well to SP2.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TarenDrake

TarenDrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:20 AM

before starting the install of the sp2, i ran the disk cleanup, defrag, mcafee av scan-came up clean, and the MS antispy-also came up clean.
did a restart, then did the sp1 updates, restarted again.
then went ahead and entered into the sp2 instalation, now it's hung up on the performing cleanup part, and has been hung up for over 4 hours now.
any idea what it's doing in the process?
if i were to exit out, would this cause issues?

edit-
it's not that the system itself is hung up or froze, since i can browse and do other things.. just that the setup seems to be hung up. in the task manager, it's labled as a running process.
i'll go watch some television while waiting for it to either finish, or more replies to comehere. thanks

Edited by TarenDrake, 06 November 2006 - 08:23 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

Normally (if that's the correct word) this is caused by an incompatible driver. SP2 has significant problems with drivers that aren't compatible with it.

First, I'd check in your Device Manager (Start...Run....type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) for any devices with problems.

If you don't find any, then I'd suggest updating your hardware device drivers. At a minimum I'd recommend that you update the motherboard/chipset drivers, the video drivers, any network/modem drivers, and your sound drivers. This solves the majority of the problems - but problems can still be caused by other device drivers (such as your printer).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users