Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Have A Hard Drive Problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Armadillo

Armadillo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:46 AM

Hello.

I recently got a Seagate 300GB SATA hard drive to replace my 80GB SATA. The 80GB was fine, I just needed more space. The 80GB will be used for photos and the 300GB for the system. The 80GB is still intact and bootable if needed.
I used Seagates DiskWizard to set up the new disk. It quickly formated and cloned my old drive onto the new one. After that the instructions it gave me made no sense. It wanted me to change a jumper on my IDE DVD drive and change a jumper on the new hard drive to master. Problem is, SATA drives dont have jumpers. So I ignored the instructions and got it to boot by myself by just switching the two hard drives data cables.

Now, other than a few missing files the hard drive is working great.

Problem-
I used Seagates Seatools to check out the drive. It said that the drive had this "critical Error"....
"One or more errors were found in metadata file records."
I have no idea what that means. I have run chkdsk, and the Seatools still give the same error.
I Googled that error and many people have problems with it.

But my hard drive seesm to be working fine, except for that error. I have two choices.
(1) Dont fix it if it isnt broke.
(2) Switch back to the old hard drive, reformat and zero-fill the new one, and copy my system onto it again.

I hope you can help me make that decision, or explain what a "metadata file record" is and if it is important.
Thank you.

Edited by Armadillo, 06 November 2006 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

I'll take what's behind door #1! :thumbsup:

Seriously, if it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it. But, since the Seagate tools are giving errors - it'd pay to keep a close eye on it.

Point your My Documents folder, your email and web browser bookmarks and profiles to the other drive. This way, should the new drive fail, you'll still have your essential data on the other one.

You could try running a repair install on XP ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) but there's no assurance that it will do anything (but it won't hose your system). This may fix some problems that were caused by cloning the system to a new hard drive ( see this link for more info: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html )

Basically, you've put a new piece of hardware into the system without telling Windows about it first. So, Windows has to find it, identify it, then pull out all of the settings for the old hard drive and replace them with those for the new hard drive. This doesn't address the problems with security descriptors, permissions, access that may also arise.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Armadillo

Armadillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

Thank you for the reply.
I guess that's what I'll do, wait and see. Last night I had a previously stable program crash violently, but that may just be a coincidence.
Still, the idea of errors in "metadata file records" bug me, even though I dont know what they are.
Can anyone explain what metadata file records are? Maybe it will set my mind at ease.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:29 AM

Since it's Seagates test give them a call and see what their techs have to say. Because of the relation between the NTFS files and metadata files I would think that you would have noticable problems it it was not performing properly. There is a pretty good explanation of how it works here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Great link dc3, thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Armadillo

Armadillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the information.
The hard drive still works, although last night it was making some grinding noises.
I've decided to low-level format it, and reclone my old disk onto it. This time the old hd will have chkdsk and defrag run before the clone. I didnt do that last time.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

Grinding isn't good, it says that there's some parts scraping (and drives aren't designed to do this) If it were my disk, I'd expect it to fail completely in the very near future. Don't forget to backup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users