Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A->b Network Access Ok, But B->a Fails

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cyclone

cyclone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:06 AM

Hi,
I have 2 PCs running XP Professional. One is my work laptop which is setup to use the domain of my employer, let's call it EMP and computername is xp-work
The other one is my home PC, which is part of a workgroup, let's call it HOME, computer name is xp-home.

Now if I try to log in from the home computer to the work laptop to get some files there's no problem. A popup window appears asking for User name and Password. With

User name = EMP\<username>
Password = <password>

I get in w/o problems and can retrieve the files.

Other way round from work laptop to home desktop - I get the same popup window asking for User name and Password. If I try

User name = <username>
Password = <password>

I get "permission denied" right away. But even if I use

User name = HOME\<username> or xp-home\<username> or XP-HOME\<username>
Password = <password>

I get the same problem, even if I use the Administrator account credentials.

What am I doing wrong here...?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

I believe this will be the case if you are not on the same workgroup. What you could do is change the workgroup on the work laptop when needing to connect or share files with the home machine.
It is normally due to remote access restrictions in user accounts. you could try and change the properties of the user accounts to get it to work but without the same setup here I can't really test to see if it will work.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users