Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging Partitions After Vista Removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LaZyFLiP07

LaZyFLiP07

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

I created a new partition on my computer to install the Vista Beta. After a week of messing with it I decided I wanted it off. I was able to remove Vista and all of it's files but now I have an empty partition. I tried deleting the partition with PartitionMagic but it just becomes unallocated which is wasted space I can't use. Is there anyway I can merge or add the free space back on to my current drive. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:53 AM

Partition Magic is able to merge partitions - have you tried this? I'd do it one operation at a time (rather than combining them) because of past problems that I've had with it using combined operations.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 LaZyFLiP07

LaZyFLiP07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

Partition Magic is able to merge partitions - have you tried this? I'd do it one operation at a time (rather than combining them) because of past problems that I've had with it using combined operations.

When I try to run the Mege Partition wizard, I get a pop up saying that "There are no partitions on this drive that can be merged." Am I doing something wrong here. Thanks again!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

Probably because it's an unallocated partition. First partition the unallocated space, then format it, then merge it. It's been a while since I've done this - but I believe that the steps are:
1) unallocated space
2) allocate the space so that it can be formatted
3) format the space (same file system as the other partition)
4) merge the partitions
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 LaZyFLiP07

LaZyFLiP07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:40 PM

Probably because it's an unallocated partition. First partition the unallocated space, then format it, then merge it. It's been a while since I've done this - but I believe that the steps are:
1) unallocated space
2) allocate the space so that it can be formatted
3) format the space (same file system as the other partition)
4) merge the partitions

Thanks again usama! I tried the above steps but I still get the same pop up. I'll try to look more into it. Here is a screenshot(hotlinking didn't work) of PartionMagic if it helps.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the screenshot - it makes it much clearer!

In the box labelled C: you've got a 112,xxx mB partition that's about used (52,xxx mB used, 60,xxx mB free)

In the little yellow box to the right of the C: box, you've got a 251 mB type 88 partition (I think it's a Linux partition), then to the right of that you've got a D: partition on an extended partition that's 1,5xx mB in size.

Adding these numbers says to me that you've got a 100 to 120 gB hard drive - is that correct? If so, then there's no unallocated space that I can see.

#7 LaZyFLiP07

LaZyFLiP07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the screenshot - it makes it much clearer!

In the box labelled C: you've got a 112,xxx mB partition that's about used (52,xxx mB used, 60,xxx mB free)

In the little yellow box to the right of the C: box, you've got a 251 mB type 88 partition (I think it's a Linux partition), then to the right of that you've got a D: partition on an extended partition that's 1,5xx mB in size.

Adding these numbers says to me that you've got a 100 to 120 gB hard drive - is that correct? If so, then there's no unallocated space that I can see.

Yes you are correct, I have a 120GB HD. But I am wondering if there is anyway to get rid of the D: drive and add the freespace on that back to my C: drive. The D: drive currently has nothing on it, so I wanted that space back on my C: drive if possible. If not then, I could just use up the drive for something else. Thanks again for the help!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

I'd imagine that you'll have to delete the D: drive/partition and then make it unallocated before you can merge it into the other partition. Probably the same thing with the type 88 partition also (you can't merge. This sort of operation is possible in PM - but I haven't used it in so long that I'm a bit out of touch.

But, to gain only 1.5 gB? IMO it's just not worth the effort right now - that's only 1/100th of your drive - and you're only using about half of the drive now.

By the time you need that 1.5 gB, you'll probably want another drive. I've got a 36 gB and a 74 gB drive on my system - and they're less than half full. I've also got a 500 gB USB drive for storing my backups - and that's only about 10% full (but it'll fill rapidly as I start imaging more systems).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users