Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Agp Cards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:43 AM

Hey, i've decided to stay with my agp card and board until the release and price drops of dx10 in a couple years, but in the meantime, I want a cheap new video card to keep me going with decent fps in newer games. Right now I have been considering the radeon x850pro-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102606
and the geforce 6800xt-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150157

They both have piplines that are unlockable and look ok. the x850 seems to outperform the 6800 with its 12 pipelines and stuff, but some of the reviews said that it ran too hot for stock cooling. and the 6800 just looks cool.

I was just wondering what eveyone else thinks and see if anyone knows about a card < $100-150 that can outperform these.

I was also looking at the 7600's but they didnt seem to perform as well as the gddr3 cards. and maybe 7800s will drop in price with the release of the new lines of cards?

vid cards are just so confusing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

Hi nforce.
For the $5.00 price difference, I'd probably go with the ATI card. Performance aside, just the extra ports (HDTV & VIVO) would make it worth it to me.
Don't look for any price drops on AGP cards, they're phased out. Like the standard PCI card before it, prices will only skyrocket as demand far outweighs supply. If you're going to buy, I wouldn't wait.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

In November (this month) nVidia will release a new line of cards (I believe it's the 8800 series) This should drop the prices of older cards substantially.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:20 AM

yeah, thats what i heard. And also the radeon x1950 is being released in agp on nov. 7th. So maybe agp MIGHT drop $ a little. I mainly want to know why the heck nvidia and ati both make cards with a higher name (ex. 7300) but then they're "lower" end cards have all the best ram and more pipelines and should I get a higher end named card (x1600, or 7600) or the ones I had listed above?

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

The cards released in November are PCIe only, so it should have no effect on the price of AGP cards. The next AGP card to be released, the Radeon x1950 Pro, is supposed to retail for $200 but prices are through the roof and it seems we will actually see it at around $300.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

ATI is still developing AGP cards? That'll extend the life of a whole lotta PC's out there (in addition to increasing their market share).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users