Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Will Not Turn On

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drivethrurecords

drivethrurecords

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

This evening I was using my laptop at school when it froze up. I had to do a hard shut down. When I tried to restart the laptop, it will not turn on. Im prettu sure the AC adaptor is fine as the light comes on the laptop indicating that a power source is plugged in. I've tried starting without the ac adaptor plugged in as well as taking the battery out of the laptop and have had no luck. I have some critical files on the laptop that would be nice to retrieve so any help would be greatly appreciated. The computer is a HPze4500 running windows XP. The computer is a few years old

Im also not that smart with computers so you might have to dumb your answer down a bit. I know how to do most basic things, but Im sure most people on here have far more superior skills.
-christopher

Edited by drivethrurecords, 05 November 2006 - 08:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drivethrurecords

drivethrurecords
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Do you think it might be a motherboard problem?

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:21 PM

I'm no pro when it comes to laptops, but it sounds to me like either a power issue or a motherboard issue. When you turn the laptop on, do you hear any noises form inside it, like the hard drive?It could also be that the hard drive has died.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:42 AM

What happens with some laptops is that the switch to tell the machine that the screen is open gets stuck. This will stop the laptop from turning on.
At the bottom of the screen(where it meets the base unit) have a look for a unusual protruding piece of plastic. Looks like a sharks fin or simular.
That will normally push down into a grove and in the grove there is a button. If you have a very small screwdriver (flat head is better) and just flick the switch a few times. Warning: be very careul not to snap it. Maybe if it is easy to get to a new paint brush could be used to clean the contact.
Not saying this will def work but it is something that normally sorts out these sort of issues in my experiance.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users