Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change The Appearance Of Some Filenames In Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gin0565

gin0565

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

I work in the academic department of a business college and I work with a number of excel spreadsheets that contain the marks for students at the college. As I complete the compilation of the marks each term, I want to be able to somehow mark the filenames of these spreadsheets to identify them as being complete without changing the filename. For example, changing the font colour or marking them somehow with a symbol. Is this possible?

Mod Edit: Closed open Font tag. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 05 November 2006 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

You could change the folder icon, or add a picture to the folder.

To add a picture, right click the file.
Select Properties.
Select the Customize tab.
Under Folder pictures, click the Choose Picture... button.
Navigate to an image you want to use, and select it.
This works if you're using Thumbnail view.

To change the icon, right click the file.
Select Properties.
Select the Customize tab.
Under Folder icons, click the Change icon... button.
Select one of the icons present, or click the Browse button, and navigate to the icon you want to use.
This works for all views, except Thumbnail.

Edited by tg1911, 05 November 2006 - 07:44 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 gin0565

gin0565
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the reply but this only works for folders not for the actual filenames. I have a folder called 'markbook06' and within that folder are 30 spreadsheets for each subject. I want to be able to change the look of these spreadsheet files in Win Expl to mark them as complete not the folder that holds them.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

Ahhhh.
Sorry, but other than changing the filename, and adding complete to the end of it, I don't know what to suggest.
Maybe someone else, will come up with an idea.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Hellish

Hellish

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:27 AM

I'd suggest compressing the "complete" files. In my case at least, they get turned blue. As long as you do not compress files often then this would be a good indicator that it is special. (not to mention that compressing saves disk space)

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:30 AM

Yeah compression would be a good way of telling other than that you could use a detailed view and sort by Last modified. this will show ones that have edited and ones that have not. The other way would be to use a Completed sub folder and file all of the completed files in the subfolder with the same file name.
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

I've used conditional formatting in the past - and tied it to the current date to change the colors. Could this be of any use?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users