Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Start In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jaebour

jaebour

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

My computer was hit by "VirusBursters".I belive it is inactive as of now.I used Scotty the watchdog program to remove some associated files.But i cannot remove the quick launch icon that leads to the website.I have downloaded SmitFraudFix, but i am unable to start computer in safe mode.After pressing F8 and then selecting safe mode, i get a screen full of type that doesnt go away.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

Try gettting to Safe mode for XP using the Using the System Configuration Tool Method from the BC tutorial

And Welcome to bleepingcomputer jaebour
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

My suggestion is to use Windows XP's repair installation feature. I don;t have time to explain the whole process throughly at the moment, but in a nutshell go into Windows XP setup, and after the screen where you press F8 to agree to the agreement it will ask whether you wnat to proceed to install a fresh copy of Windows Xp or if you want to try to repair the copy currently installed. Select the repair option. what this does is erases all of the system files, but it leaves all of your files and installed programs in place. This should fix your problem if nothing else does.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

Before you try a repair install of XP, try this:

download Super Anti Spyware http://www.superantispyware.com/ , the free for personal use version,

completely update the program, restart the machine and make sure the program is up to date. then run a complete system scan. Let SAS remove all that it finds, then it will tell you that it needs to reboot the system.

let it reboot, after is reboots, clean the quarantine, and restart your machine, and try to go into safe mode like it says here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

let us know the results

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 jaebour

jaebour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

OK thanks alot guys.I followed msconfig tutorial and was able to run safe mode.Ran smitfraudfix:; after reboot the VirusBurster quick launch icon was gone!!!.Also ran SAS which found 37 threats. I have spyware blaster,spybot s&d, ad-aware, and a F-secure virus protection. All of which never found any of the 37 threats. I still feel worried that i did not remove all the problems. i will post a hijackthis log for anyone who is intersted.thanks again.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

jaebour,

I moved your HJT log to the appropriate forum.
Here, is the link:
jaebour's HJT log

NOTE:
Please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might think someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Also, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it more difficult to properly clean your system.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users