Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Spiralling Out Of Control!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doodlez

Doodlez

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hello

My problem started with Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888 that no matter how many times I removed it, it just kept coming back. I also appeared to have several trojans. One or other of these problems kept bringing up spam webpages and fake security risk pop-ups from my start bar, which was annoying so I set about sorting it out.

I followed some advice I found on another website and cleared quarantined items, ran CCleaner, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender, repeated it all in safe mode, ran BitDefender, PandaActiveScan and getrunkey, shownew and HijackThis) preparing my computer to be able to post my problems on a forum. However, all was going well until I returned to my computer after the PandaActiveScan (in safe mode) to find about 4 pop-ups from "virus-scan" programmes and several flashing icons and balloons in the startup bar claiming I was infected and demanding I use their scan.
Since then my virus problems seem to be spiralling out of control!

After discovering this new problem I ran Spybot S&D and Ad-AwareSE and managed to remove about 15 problems. I spotted some programmes that had cheekily installed themselves (Virusbusters 6.2, Online Security Guide, Security Troubleshooting) so went to Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs and managed to uninstall Virusbusters 6.2, MediaTickets by OIN and Safety Alerter 2006.

Unfortunately however, I still have several trojans etc on my computer not to mention my original problem of Smitfraud-C!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have run out of ideas what to do and am desperate!

(I have the logs for HijackThis, BitDefender, getrunkey and shownew if required)

Please let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks,

Doodlez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

I suggest your posting the HJT log, if current, in the HJT forum where our highly skilled team of volunteers will review it and then help you get rid of all the malware found.
Please read the following instructions before posting:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 November 2006 - 07:10 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users