Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Clear Autocomplete, Program Not Responding?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marian..

marian..

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:30 AM

Hello...I don't know where I should post this question. I am using Windows XP Home, so I hope someone can help me here.

I am trying to clear my autocomplete forms and passwords. When I click to clear, the hour glass icon comes on, but nothing happens and it just stays there forever. When I get tired of watching that and try to close the box, I get a program not responding message, then it shuts down IE.

I have recently installed Spybot S&D and the Online Protection software that comes with AT&T/Yahoo high speed internet. I am using the Windows Firewall. I don't know how to shut off the Spybot or the SBC/Yahoo software to see if that is causing my problem (without uninstalling).

Can anyone help?

(Moderator edit: moved topic to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 05 November 2006 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer marian..
In the tray of icons (system tray) next to the clock you should find corresponding icons to those programs. Right clicking will bring up a menu with an exit / disable option. try that first.
I suggest you follow these instructions to be sure you've installed Spybot correctly and take advantage of the other producs there. Uninstall Spybot first from the control panel ,add/remove programs option.
You can try after the uninstall to see if there was a conflict with att,but I doubt it. I feel its some malware on the machine and you'd be well served to follow the "instructions."

I would also recommend that you select an alternative firewall from HERE as the windows firewall is not adequate protection.
btw what Antivirus and malware appps are you running.

Edited by boopme, 05 November 2006 - 10:04 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 marian..

marian..
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

Thank you Boopme for your reply.

My issue with clearing the autocomplete entries is resolved. I'm not sure why but I was able to clear them later. The only thing different was that I had deleted the contents of the Docs and Setttings/user/local settings/temp file.

I will follow the instructions that you recommended and also will install a different firewall.

Again, thanks for your help....marian

#4 nora.brown

nora.brown

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

Situations like this I solve with History Killer Pro, clearing all autocomplete logins, forms, passwords with no errors like you've mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users