Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secure Delete

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:19 AM

I want to securely delete a whole drive and install xp home and im wondering if anyone knows any freeware thats good? also if I do wipe the drive can I just boot from the xp disk to install it by changing the boot config to boot from the cd? or is safe mode and all of the other stuff erased too? would I need a boot cd or what? also theres no ram in the pc the slots are empty and im wondering if id need ram to wipe the drive ? Ive heard of a program called boot and nuke or something like that and im just not sure how to completley securely wipe this drive and be able to install an OS.. Any suggestions??

Thanks

- RAY -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

I want to securely delete a whole drive and install xp home and im wondering if anyone knows any freeware thats good?

Yes, Killdisk is good.

also if I do wipe the drive can I just boot from the xp disk to install it by changing the boot config to boot from the cd?

You need to have the BIOS boot order so that the CD drive is before the hard disk.

or is safe mode and all of the other stuff erased too?

Wiping the drive means wiping the drive. Nothing will survive, not Windows, malware, programs or data. Nothing. The drive will be wiped clean completely.

also theres no ram in the pc the slots are empty and im wondering if id need ram to wipe the drive ?

The computer won't boot without RAM installed.

Here are instructions on how to use Killdisk:

Killdisk is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD. Run the program to wipe clean the disk.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 05 November 2006 - 12:25 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:05 AM

DBAN=Darik's Boot and Nuke = DBAN=Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction. = http://dban.sourceforge.net + Note: Also see = BootDisks - PC Support - Essential Utilities = http://bootdisk.com - - http://dban.sourceforge.net

BCWipe = http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe.htm

Autoclave = hard drive sterilization on a bootable floppy = http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/

PC INSPECTOR e-maxx = (FREEWARE) = http://www.pcinspector.de/emaxx/uk/welcome.htm = PC INSPECTOR™ e-maxx only deletes entire hard drives

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

Eraser 5.8 is a good program and that can be run from a Boot CD. There is a great Boot CD that is packed full of tools like this Ultimate Boot CD Ver 4.

Very usefull disk to have by your side.
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

If you're keeping the hard drive (not selling it) then there's really no need to "nuke" it.

But, if you're selling the system with the hard drive in it - use as many tools as you can lay your hands on (some is good, more is better!) and use them as many times as you can!

The most secure method for protecting your data on a hard drive is to melt it into one big blob of metal with a welding torch!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

THANX for the good belly laugh Usama !! I needed it. What im looking to do is keep the drive. I reall ywould like to make it as simple as possible for me. Im not to bright with this sorta stuff so id like to buy a deletion CD and securley delete the drive " and not just the typical D.O.D. deletion method " but the 32 overwrite one. I think its called the gunthuman method or something like that. And than have a purchased boot cd to be able to boot up with "as im told i wouldnt be able to reinstall windows xp without one" and than do a fresh xp install. im worried i might screw up trying to create my own boot cd and i dont have a floppy drive. Also i was wondering if youve ever heard of anyone messing up their drive buy doing the secure overwrite? Someone told me once thas wasnt a good thing to do " hardware wise " as its hard on the drive and has been known to " Kill " the drive".. Its a recently purchased drive " used " and before i install my own XP - OS I want it wiped clean.

Any suggestions??

RAY

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

The process that you were referring to is the Gutmann method which does this by writing a series of 35 patterns to the drive. This is akin to breaking eggs with a sledgehammer for your application. The Kill Disk that was mentioned previously works well, if you wish to purchase a program I suggest you try Wipe Drive.

Before you wipe the drive go into the BIOS and make your CD-ROM the first device in the POST sequence, and the hdd in the CD-ROM's place. This will allow you to boot from the XP disc which will walk you through the installation.

This article will help you learn how to enter and navigate in the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

Frankly, since you're keeping the drive - there's no need to securely destroy the data.

Next, don't buy any software/disk program for your system without checking here first. As long as you have a valid XP installation CD - everything else (software-wise) can be done for free with good solid free software freely available on the web.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

A couple months ago I used DBaN on a 8 gig drive using the 7 pass DoD method , it was a old 350k6 128mb mem system and it took just short of 3 hours IIRC , so you might want to consider the time factor involved it you have a large disk as it would have taken aprox 15 hrs to do a "Gutmann" ,remember thats a 8 gig drive , which would equal out to about 150 hrs for a 80 gig at 35 passes :thumbsup: , a "faster machine" should work faster, but even at twice the speed thats still 75 hrs to complete. so to sum up this train wreck of a thought I would go with a DoD 3 pass if I was going to do it again and was wanting to use the disk, as any thing put on the disk afterwards will effectively "overwrite" any data in it self.
a nice link to check out( more than I ever wanted to know :flowers:)
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library...papers/gutmann/

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#10 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

I would think its important to wipe a purchased " used " drive no matter who you get it from! Unless one happens to have excellent data recovery toolls and the knowhow to " view " recoverable data. I do not beleive just doing A fresh install on any used drive completly erases past " writes " I dont know whats on "or was " on the drive . I bought it used online. Maybe its no big deal but, id feel better knowing its clean. Ill check out some of the free deletion programs to see what they have to offer. Thank You All for your advice...

- RAY -

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:04 PM

If you get a drive from another person - wipe it! It could even have a virus on it that could easily infect your system.

If you give a drive to another person, wipe it! They can recover data from it if they're determined enough.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:31 AM

The DOD wipe is sufficient though - and boot disks are free from Microsoft.

You will need a full installation Windows XP CD with its unique 25 digit key that has never been used on any other computer but the one on which you are installing it.

#13 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

How do I go aboput getting the boot cd from microsoft?

Thank You

- RAY -

#14 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:41 PM

I would think its important to wipe a purchased " used " drive no matter who you get it from!
- RAY -

yep, that does make a difference, if it aint yours to start with Wipe that sucker.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users