Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc Games

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

Well for christmas i'm going to get some upgrades for my computer. Well today at best buy i was just looking around (wow there expensive compared to the internet!) and i noticed the newer games say pc DVD. This made me mad because I remember last year when I was ordering my computer i remember being asked to upgrade to a DVD drive for a few extra dollars, but i'm not big on movies or anything so I decided not to get it.

Well can anyone tell me some good dvd drives, that can burn dvd's too, but aren't terribly expensive (maybe 50$ max). I don't need it with a cd burner if that lowers the price of it at all because I have 2 cd drives already and one has a cd burner.

Also anyone know of any good looking new games coming out? I like most genres like RPG's, shooters, racing, tactical games (such as C&C series and AOE). Thanks for reading this!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:36 AM

I prefer Lite-On brand myself, but check out newegg.com they sell several different brands and people who bought them give reviews so you can decide on what you want, or don't want.
If you get a DVD burner, it will also burn CD's. Just leave your old cd burner in with the new dvd burner so you can copy from the cd to the dvd. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Sweet, thanks for the info!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:28 PM

lite-on is a good brand. i would stay away from plextor, i had interface issues with their drive.

i have this sony dvd drive and it is rock solid, plus it comes with nero. i have had no issues with this drive, and fry's is pretty reputable.

hope this helps.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

Anyone have a Western Digital Raptor HD? I think that might be my next toy. 10,000 RPM!
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#6 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

Wal-Mart has a few decent DVD drives, I can't remember the brand at the moment. Also, they have most of the new games as they come out. FYI, this is NOT a plug for Wal-Mart. I just happen to know they get most of the new games as quickly as anybody else. gk

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:05 AM

I recently got a Lite-On combo drive at NewEgg for about $35 and it works perfectly. Optical drives are easy to upgrade at a later date.

3939.png

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

Lite-On is a decent stock brand. Nothing special, but solid.
Sony's DVD drives, especially around the time they came out with dual layer burners, have been consistently bad. I'd avoid them if possible.

Personally I stick with NEC's burners because not only have they been very highly rated multiple times, they're also quite inexpensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....dvd&Ntk=all

As far as games there doesn't seem to be much going on in the PC side right now unless you're an RPGer, in which case there's the WoW expansion and Neverwinter Nights 2.
Posted Image

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:00 AM

Anyone have a Western Digital Raptor HD? I think that might be my next toy. 10,000 RPM!

I've never had a drive that fast. I once had a tech tell me that WD drives are good as long as they don't get 10 degrees too hot. They fry, and are lost. I don't know what the other drives overheat at so that doesnt' help much does it? The WD I owned did fine, I guess it didn't over heat and most of the forums I read the people like them. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

[quote name='Wildabeast' date='Jan 26 2007, 03:00 AM' post='438412']
[quote]
[/quote]

I'm curious, why does it seem that the 10,000 RPM drives don't have the same capacity as a 7,200 RPM? I've been able to find a 720GB drive that goes at 7,200 whereas the largest 10,000 RPM caps out at roughly 200GB.

3939.png

#11 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

[quote name='DJBPace07' date='Jan 26 2007, 05:27 PM' post='438739']
[quote name='Wildabeast' date='Jan 26 2007, 03:00 AM' post='438412']
[quote]
[/quote]

I'm curious, why does it seem that the 10,000 RPM drives don't have the same capacity as a 7,200 RPM? I've been able to find a 720GB drive that goes at 7,200 whereas the largest 10,000 RPM caps out at roughly 200GB.
[/quote]

Cause they're not meant for storage. When you buy a Raptor drive, you use the drive for major applications and programs, and you use another 7200 drive for storage. The Raptor will speed up your programs significantly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users