Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 4100 Hd Xp Only Shows 32gb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markymarq

markymarq

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

I am VERY confused! I thought I knew enough to stick in a new Samsung SP 0822N HD 80 GB. It is so ^&%$^* confusing! I think I finally got jumpers set (Samsung needs much better translators!). However, the thing is only recognizing 32GB. I used the XP Home disk to format HD. then install XP. I see refs to utilities at Samsung (Disk Mgr), BIOS upgrades, ....... I've seen warnings about using Dynamic Drive Overlay, I've tried to understan the diffs between FAT32 & NTFS. I have A05 BIOS - Dell is up to A11. I read history of BIOS upgrades; none apply to HD size.
So...what do I do? I can flash BIOS, I can accept NTFS from XP (don't even know how to tell which system is in effect - though I think I can find it); thought I read it's better to fomrat FAT32, THEN go to NTFS(?). I could use the disk utility from Samsung. HELP!!!
AOpen, P4 3GHz, 512MB DDR RAM, ASRock P4VM800 Socket 478 HTT-Ready, SATA plus RAID, VIA P4VM800 MOBO Chipset, HD 40GB ST3402111A plus 40GB WDC, NVidia GeForce 5700LE 256 MB, Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1693S, VIA AC'07 Enhanced Audio Ctrllr, OS WinXP Home Ed SP2, IE6, AVG Free, Ad-Aware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 markymarq

markymarq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

OOOOOPS!!! I realized my signature includes my NEW system; the post is for one I'm upgrading: Dell Dimension 4100 PIII, 863 MHZ, 128MB RAM. I used XP Home Ed. SP2 to format, install.
AOpen, P4 3GHz, 512MB DDR RAM, ASRock P4VM800 Socket 478 HTT-Ready, SATA plus RAID, VIA P4VM800 MOBO Chipset, HD 40GB ST3402111A plus 40GB WDC, NVidia GeForce 5700LE 256 MB, Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1693S, VIA AC'07 Enhanced Audio Ctrllr, OS WinXP Home Ed SP2, IE6, AVG Free, Ad-Aware

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

Hi markymarq.

I read history of BIOS upgrades; none apply to HD size.

Read again. Ver A09 and up address that exact issue. :thumbsup:
Before you flash, check the bios. If it's already reporting the correct size drive, don't bother.
Also see this MS article, specificly the quote from it below when formatting the drive:

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk

See the "patches and fixes' catagory at dells website for that system concerning a DMA mode fix for XP too. :flowers:

Edited by HitSquad, 05 November 2006 - 08:28 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

Just a warning - it's not a good practice to jump too many BIOS versions at once. In your case, I'd suggest the A07, then the A09, then see if that solves the problem. If so, then there's no need to flash anymore (it's a dangerous operation). If you do flash further, only go 2 or 3 updates at a time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 markymarq

markymarq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

Awesome, you guys! So, here's where it is: stuck a floppy in and loaded A11. Tried to boot, got the "Non-system disk or disk error" msg, which is apparently the Dell response for a whole raft of issues. I don't think it got far enough to even know which update it is.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

Read the instructions at the Dell site carefully. You'll need:
1) A bootable floppy disk
2) A flash utility to write the flash file to the BIOS
3) The flash file itself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users