Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is This File?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my computer and I noticed this is listed in my startup menu PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe. Running a search on the file, to find out more on the file, I found it is located here, C:\Windows\Prefetch

What is this file, can I delete it from the startup menu (meaning is it safe too)?

Also, along this same lines, while trying to find some information on this file I took a look at my startup Control Panel (by Mike Lin), if your familiar with it.

In the HKCU/Run section there is a ctfmon.exe, path = C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe. Is it ok to turn this off?

Thanks in advance for your help,

OSC

Oh, and I did run a search on this file in the forum, all the entries had to do with HJT entries and didn't answer my question.

Edited by OS_Challenged, 04 November 2006 - 04:12 PM.

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

That is a legit Microsoft file. Here is a link describing it...

PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

What Does the Ctfmon.exe File Do?
Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

Frequently asked questions about Ctfmon.exe

If you don't use this service, then it's OK to stop it from running at Startup.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

Thank you very much... both you...

Edited by OS_Challenged, 04 November 2006 - 10:10 PM.

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

You're welcome, OS_Challenged.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users