Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring The Registry From Rcovery Console

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hi, like the title says, I need to know how to restore the registry from Windows Recovery Console on a Dell Laptop with an OEM version of Windows XP Home SP2.

At this point, all I'm interested in is repairing it enough to boot into Windows, burn all my files to a CD and then wipe the drive and start fresh.

The MS Knowledge Base Article I read (see here) states that I should not use the method therein described to restore the registry on an OEM system as I may lock myself out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 04 November 2006 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

Try one of the Live Linux distros. They are self contained including cd burnond software. If you have at least 256Mb of RAM you will not even have to install any of the software on the hard drive.
You could never do this with Windows. Live Linux is simply Amazing, Andrew
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'd suggest not trying to mess with the registry - it'll be much easier to boot with a DOS boot disk and NTFS reader or a Live Linux distro to recovery your files.

Or, you can do a parallel installation of Windows and access your data that way.

But, have you considered doing a repair installation of Windows XP. This will keep all your programs and data intact, and should allow you to start using the PC again without the gyrations required with a registry restoration. Here's a link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

Prepare yourselves, mateys, for a tale of horror and sacrifice, of blood curdling error messages and a registry hive gone bad!

I tried doing a repair installation of Windows, which appeared to work until the second stage of the installation process began (after the first reboot). Windows began to load, then I got an error message about being unable to locate certain info in the registry and that Windows will be restarted. I let this process loop itself three times before giving up.

Then, as sweat poured from my brow, I slowly reached for my CD carryall and pulled out my secret weapon...

It was, The Ultimate Boot Disc for Windows! Armed with it's vast array of Windows repair tools, I restored the registry from an old Windows Restore Point, rebooted with the XP installation disk, reperformed the repair installation, and successfully booted into Windows!

Then, the complete fourth season of The Black Adder playing in the background, whipping out my copy of Avast! Antivirus, I performed a boot-time scan of the hard drive revealing not one, not two, not even five nuggets of malicious software, but 18 individual infections scattered throughout the drive.

Having vanquished the evil viruses, and thereafter performed a mighty chkdsk and defrag, I moved to fortify the defenses of this laid up laptop through the secret charms and spells of XP Service Pack 2.

So boys and girls, let that be a lesson. Keep your computers up-to-date, protect them with firewalls and antimalware programs, guard against the hacker, unless you want to pay someone to fix it all later for you, that is.
:thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

:thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users