Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Program to download music?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 z_silversurfer_z

z_silversurfer_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:54 PM

Just wondering what to use to download music. All I've heard about is limewire. Is that the best one?? Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:53 PM

Well try apple's new jukebox thing. You have to pay a buck for each song. It aint right to still songs like some software do.

Id rather pay to be safe. MSN also allows downloads.

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

I-Tunes is I-deal :thumbsup:

Works with XP only though.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

Just wondering what to use to download music. All I've heard about is limewire. Is that the best one?? Any suggestions?

Stay away from Limewire, more information HERE & HERE

Edited by Bear, 21 December 2004 - 07:39 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#5 Jungleman

Jungleman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:10 AM

From personal experience, Limewire devastated my machine. I am finally recovering after disinfecting and properly protecting my machine. Don't do it!

:thumbsup:

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

Works for me........

I hate that things like this are out there!

#7 Johnny305SR

Johnny305SR

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:45 AM

i use mIRC. Coupled with some of the scripts you can find at www.omenscripts.org it works just as the good old napster days... theres also sites like ircspy.com that let you find and download whole cds...

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

Limewire
It is no longer bundled with spyware
This link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/
Hasn't been updated since Dec,2003
I use and recommend Limewire (Linux and Windows)and WinMX(Windows).
Run far and fast away from Kazaa,Morpheus and Grokster.
I see people recommending:
http://www.shareaza.com/
But i have never used it so i cant give an opinion.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 Tytyan

Tytyan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:27 AM

Hello , i see you are in trouble with the p2p programs so here we go, avoid p2p programs listed on the Spyware Infested Filesharing Programs List . The list posted on the SpywareInfo is very litlle compared with this one . Enjoy !

#10 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

You can't go past WinMX. IMHO ofcourse :-)

Thanks for that link tytyan.....will be useful.
JTH

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:49 PM

Kazaa Lite K++ (Under Kazaa Lite Resurrection download.)
What I use, and no spyware.

Kazaa Lite Resurrection v0.0.7.6 F
A continuation of the Kazaa Lite K++ client.
KLR has been featured on TechTV.

Not on the list, and is supposed to be, spyware free.
I haven't tried it, so I can't say for sure.

They even recommend, Ad-aware, Spybot, and Spywareblaster.
From the FAQ:

I had Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) but I got Kazaa Lite Resurrection now. I heard I have spyware, do I?

Yes. You do have forms of spyware that besides being called 'spyware', are also called 'adware' and 'malware'. If you had or have any version of Kazaa Media Desktop from www.kazaa.com. You will have spyware as of BDE, altnet, P2P networking, and the list can go on. You can get a spyware removal tool from here: Spybot - Search & Destroy. There is also Ad-aware. Both these spyware removers can clean your system. To keep your system clean (protect it) I recommend this: Spyware Blaster. ....... Remember to keep these programs updated, because new spyware is developed every day. It is your job to keep and protect your system.

NOTE: I've changed the Ad-aware link, because I don't trust Download.com.

Another quote:

How does Kazaa Lite get around Spyware?

It gets around it, quite simply, by not installing it!

Both the Original Kazaa and Kazaa Lite (because Kazaa Lite has to work exactly the same as the Original Kazaa) actually check for CyDoor on your machine and will not run without it. However, Kazaa Lite gets around this by installing a dummy version of CyDoor, which appears correct to Kazaa, but does not serve the adverts, meaning they don't appear in KL. It also stops random pop-ups from appearing while you're using KL. This dummy version of CyDoor is from a group called Counterexploitation (CEXX).

And another:

Ad-Aware says I have a cydoor dll in Kazaa Lite, is that spyware?

No. That file is a dummy to trick Kazaa. We would NEVER put spyware in Kazaa Lite.

You should update your copy of Ad-aware. Newer version recognize more types of spyware and it knows the difference between the real and the dummy CyDoor dll.

Great link, tytyan.

Edited by tg1911, 12 January 2005 - 05:20 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 st0nedsk8er

st0nedsk8er

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

any kind of kazaa is horrible, because most of the files are corrupted and have annoying ear disturbing noises, my suggestion is get limewire, which scans the file when its done downloading to see if its corrupted or not..and when you do get limewire basic, just search for software and get the latest version of limewire PRO..believe me this is the best p2p program out.

#13 mga

mga

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

pilot and soulseek are the best spyware free apps for music files. google'em :thumbsup:
pilot is better for individual mp3 and soulseek is good for all.

#14 AkaAlias

AkaAlias

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 02:08 PM

pilot and soulseek are the best spyware free apps for music files. google'em :thumbsup:
pilot is better for individual mp3 and soulseek is good for all.

I don't know about pilot, but i can tell you that soulseek rules!!!
I use it for all my music downloads.

Feel free to add me to your soulseek buddy list, my nick is: AkaAlias
Posted Image

#15 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:53 PM

Bit Tornado, YOu can download entire discographys at once (and not in one music file) :flowers:

exlite.net It is eXeem, except with out adware (Cydoor), Right now however I have regular exeem because it is more up to date (and eXlite right now only has the Private BETA version so you wont be able to use it.). And all that cydoor does is inject ads into the eXeem (as well as update with out your knowlege).
It has comments you can add after you have downloaded the file, and before you download a file you can right click on it, and look at the comments, and if it is a virus, or spyware, or anything, it will tell you. It also has a ranking you can vote OK, or NOT OK, after you download it, if you heed these 2 things, you should not have a problem with downloading the wrong stuff :thumbsup:
To get regular eXeem, go to exeem.com

Soulseek is good, but I would reccomend only downloading music from it and nothing else...only because the program looks...unsecure.

Kazaa Lite aka: (K ++, K-lite), has the largest community, I would however scan everything before you open it, even if it seems to be an mp3 file.

KaZaA lite Ressurection, I used this but I was wodering if anyone else useses it becuase, I couldnt find anything, I even searched for a commend word like and and found nothing, and I thought I was connected. I dont know if is this is just me or if really does work for everyone else. O well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users