Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does System Restore Fix Virus Burst

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marc007

Marc007

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hi folks

You are probably sick of looking at posts from newbies about the bastard virus burst spyware

here's another one -

I picked it up over the weekend through my own stupidity downloading a dodgy codec. After googling and trying xsoft remover and others I decided to just format and get it over with.

before I formatted I decided to try a system restore point 2 weeks previous. this seems to have worked. I cant find any of the dodgy system files that the REMOVING VIRUSBURSTER PAGE talks about.

Has this worked or is it lurking around waiting for me to use my internet banking?

hope you all can help

thanks

marc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:39 PM

BleepingComputer has a tutorial for removing that particular malware.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63896/how-to-remove-virusburst-removal-instructions/

Can't answer whether or not you were successful in completely removing the malware but to be on the safe side you would probably want to go thru the steps in the above tutorial. To be sure, it now resides in your system restore files so you would be wise to delete those and start anew after making sure you are clean.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Marc007

Marc007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

thanks for te reply

I did go through the tutorial and downloaded the regisry fix files etc.

whn I browse my registry for the rougue entries there is no sign of them, so I wonder has the system restore gotten rid of them?

You mention that the sys restore will have them stored somewhere? Where are they located?

thanks again folks

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/faqsrwxp.mspx

You can either delete all restore points except the latest one, or all the restore points

To delete all restore points except the latest one, use the Disk Cleanup utility. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Disk Cleanup. Click on the more options tab and then select Clean up in the System Restore dialog box.

To delete all the restore points on your computer, disable and re-enable system restore on the system. Click Start, Control Panel, and then the System icon. Click on the System Restore tab in the dialog box, select the Turn off System Restore check box, and click Apply. Clear the check box again to re-enable System Restore and then click OK.

You can reduce the number of restore points saved by decreasing the total amount of disk space available to System Restore. Note that less available disk space will decrease the relative number of restore points.

Any restore point that was created after getting the malware will be infected. In this case, your only option to remove the malware from system restore is to remove all restore points.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Marc007

Marc007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:05 PM

I actually didnt create any restore points since I got the malware. I just restored to checkpoint created 2 weeks ago. I suppose I'll delete all the other points anyway. do you think this will cover it?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Yes, delete the restore points. I would also recommend, if you haven't already, to clean up your temp files, logs, and registry by using Windows Live OneCare. It will also scan for malware. All free.
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users