Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Install Ubuntu And Keep Windows

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hey whats up people anyways im ew to the linux world and im starting out with Ubuntu. I burnt the cd and did all that and i really like ubuntu i tried playing around with it and its really cool, anyways there is a little icon on the ubuntu desktop which says install. I want to install Ubuntu and know how its just that im using a live cd ad want it to REALLY be on my computers harddrive but at the same time i want to keep windows. I want to be able to turn on my pc and get like a screen that tells me which os i want to boot up to and i select it and go to it u know. So can anyone please tell me how to install ubuntu and keep windows so i have like a pc with 2 os's? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks for any help!
ROOTKITS BAD!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

I have been looking at this site as I am considering the same thing:
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/20/1654251

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 JG427

JG427

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

The partitioning tools are already included in the Ubuntu LiveCD. You don't really need to manually partition the drive.
Ubuntu will see that windows is installed and give you the option to shrink the windows partition to make room for the ubuntu install. Here's a guide that shows the steps.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
Posted Image

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

JG427, Thanks a ton for that excellent tutorial. Just one question--in option #1, do you know how much space the Ubuntu CD will allot for Ubuntu on a 80G hard drive? Or care to guess? I would want to keep XP2.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 JG427

JG427

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

It should give you the choice to resize to whatever you want with a slide bar on the next screen.
Posted Image

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,598 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

Thanks, you just made my day! Now if BC can get past Wake Forest--with a win--

#7 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

GREAT NEWS! I got ubuntu! so now i have 2 operating systems on one!!!!

THANK YOU JG427 YOUR LINK REALLY REALLY HELPED ME!

before u gave me that link i was goin through everywhere looking on how to install ubuntu as a seondary os and ur link shortened it down for me so prety much i just had to go to the install icon insteaed of putting n tons of codes!!!

THANX AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#8 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

Sry but i have just one more question is there like a website or something i could go to that has ALL Ubuntu (linux) downloads or is there like something i can download from the synaptic package manager that will allow me to download any kind of program?????????

THANX AGAIN FOR ANY HELP! :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#9 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

also can ubuntu get any virusus?????? if so where can i get any anitvirus software for it?
ROOTKITS BAD!

#10 JG427

JG427

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:08 PM

You can add more repositories to synaptic which will increase the number of programs listed.
Open synaptic, click settings > repositories, then enable all that are listed.
Click ok, then click reload to refresh the list.

Click the search icon and enter "antivirus" , ClamAV should come up in the list.

I also use Automatix to install some programs.

http://www.getautomatix.com/

"Automatix is a graphical interface for automating the installation of the most commonly requested applications in Debian based linux operating systems."
Posted Image

#11 JustBrian

JustBrian

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

I have a question that has to do with this so, I didn't think making a topic would be the best Idea. Anyway, when you dual boot does it give you the option to switch right off the bat? Also, will there be an option that lets you switch back and forth in the start menu?

Oh and now that I think about it is Ubuntu easy to use? because I get really sick of windows and I'd like a OS thats still easy to use.

#12 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

Ok Justbrian im kind of a noob to linux and ubuntu and all this an ill te;ll u things that i kno. Ok first of all when want to install ubuntu go to the install icon on the desktop and go through the process until u get to somehing where it gives you 3 choices of how you want to install ubuntu. first choice is what u want to select it will split your hard drive space and put ubuntu as a secondary os. If you want to choose manually how much space u want ubuntu to take up go to the third option.

Also my opinion of unbutu is that it is pretty good i mean alot of things you have to do manually but its worth it if u want to be a computer programmer like me, im really a noob at it i just started. So if you want to install ubuntu id give it a thought because ur gana be REALLY confused at first but 1 week into it and ull get the hang of it.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#13 JG427

JG427

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

I have a question that has to do with this so, I didn't think making a topic would be the best Idea. Anyway, when you dual boot does it give you the option to switch right off the bat?

The grub boot manager comes up before any operating system loads and you choose which one starts.
After a few seconds, it will boot into ubuntu by default if you don't change it.

Also, will there be an option that lets you switch back and forth in the start menu?

No, nothing in the start menu. You can change the settings for grub when your running ubuntu by making changes to the grub configuration file.
You can make it boot into windows by default instead of ubuntu or change the timeout setting, even add another operating system to the choices.
I have XP, ubuntu and kubuntu listed in my boot manager.

Oh and now that I think about it is Ubuntu easy to use? because I get really sick of windows and I'd like a OS thats still easy to use.

I tried several linux distributions and ubuntu was the easiest to install and set up for me. It does take a while to learn your way around.
I felt somewhat lost at first, but i'm catching on a little at a time.
Posted Image

#14 JustBrian

JustBrian

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:18 AM

No, nothing in the start menu. You can change the settings for grub when your running ubuntu by making changes to the grub configuration file.
You can make it boot into windows by default instead of ubuntu or change the timeout setting, even add another operating system to the choices.
I have XP, ubuntu and kubuntu listed in my boot manager.

Is there a guide I can follow that will help me do this? I'm pretty sure I could do it alone but, I'd feel better if I had a Guide.

#15 JG427

JG427

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

JustBrian, a bunch of ubuntu how to's are listed at this site.

How to change default Operating System boot-up for GRUB menu is listed there.

The line that says " * Replace with the following line default X_sequence"
X_sequence is a variable which should be replaced with the line number that lists windows in the boot manager screen, such as default 4
The first line is counted as 0, so in the following boot screen, windows xp would be 4:

ubuntu kernel 2.6.17
ubuntu recovery
ubuntu memtest
other operating systems
windows xp

It does count the line " other operating systems" as I found out the first time I tried this.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users