Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jormic

jormic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:36 AM

My desktop PC (Sony pvc-rs 430g) is hooked up through a D-Link router (DI-614+) for my wireless network. I would like to have my printer (HP psc 2410 xi all in one.) network to the 4 other computers ( 2 desktops and 2 laptops.) in my home. Network access to all computer works, with excellent reception to all.

First attempt through my wife's and my personal laptop using Xp's printer setup wizard failed. When told to browse for network printers wizard does not recognize my HP. The option of entering the printers address/name or url is available but I am unfamiliar where to find this info.

Printer sharing is enabled on all computers.

What to do next?

Any comments appreciated, Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:38 AM

Has the machine you have the printer connected to got the printer shared?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

Yes print sharing is enabled on all computers. Would like to find out if the printer has its own url?

The printer wizard gives options to" browse" (Fails to find my printer), "Connect to this printer..." Example: \\server\printer, and "Connect to printer on the internet...." using url Example: http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer. With the last two options I'm not sure what to enter for 'server', 'printers' and so on.

My printers name is Home and my computer Jormic. Do I use 'Home' or mfr. model?

As you can see Lost is my middle name.

Thanks

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

Is the printer a Ethernet printer? If so you will need to know the default IP address of the printer. This will then allow you to either change it from the printer to a static IP address on your network or change the ip address on your PC to one on the same network as the printer. Connect to the printers web Browser. then change the IP address to a static IP on your network and change the settings back on the PC. This will then make sure the printer is on the smae network and be able to be added through Add Printers.

If this Printer is connected to a PC through a USB or Printer port then you will have to add the printer on that machine and then shar it to all other users. Then you will be able to add the printer through the IP address of the machine that the printer is connected to.

I hope this makes sense. If not then just advise the way it is connected to the network and I will break down then instructions Step by step if possible. O Yeah I will also need to know what printer it is.
I hope this helps.
Posted Image

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:25 AM

If the printer is already shared from machine Jormic then simply type
\\Jormic\ in a explorer window that should show the printers that are on that printer. Right click on Home and click Connect.

Edited by projectfocus, 06 November 2006 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image

#6 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

My printer an Hp psc 2410xi all in one is installed on my desktop via USB, the printer sharing is enable.

The print wizard when selected to 'browse' does not give any results under 'Shared printers'. I've tried 'Connect to printer' Name: \\jormic\home, jormic being my desktop and home the printer name but no joy.

My last idea was using the URL, for which I have no clue.

Thanks

#7 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

just simply open my computer and type \\Jormic\
This will show all shared folders and printers for that device.

Failing that. On PC Jormic open command prompt
Type ipconfig /all
this will show the IP address of the server.

When trying to add a printer from another network device input the ip address as that of the PC.
Posted Image

#8 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

Projectfocus,

First of all thank you for your patience.

I followed your instructions (ipconfig/all) and found the ip address to my computer , DNHP SERVER, and DNS SERVER. With this info I went to my laptop printer wizard and tried again.

I tried both server addresses but no luck. I know it must be the way I'm entering the data.

\\ ip address\ home (my printers name) is that correct?

If I wanted to try the URL format of : http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer, what do I enter for sever address( computer ip, or DNHP ip)? /printers is what? The name I assigned my printer(home) or mfr name?
I'm not sure what to enter under all required items, I've tried a bunch of different ways.

Excuse my ignorance on this matter and know that your inputs are appreciated.

Thank you

#9 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:23 AM

Here are a few things to check I will go right from scratch.

Add a printer. When this has been added right click on it and goto properties. It should look like this below. With the share name of Home.

Posted Image

If you click OK you should see the share hand below the printer icon. This will confirm that the sharing is enabled. See image below

Posted Image

Then from any machine on the network type \\jormic and you should get a window that loks like this.

Posted Image

Right click on the printer and select connect. That will then add that printer to the machines local printers. Or drag it into the local machine printer window. That will allow connection to the printer.

I hope this helps.
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

I just purchased a reconditioned NetGear wireless print server for $35 (US) and it easily hooked up and shared out my printer to everyone on the network without having to have it connected to another PC.

Now I've got my big, bulky printer stashed away from all the hustle and bustle of the house and we can print to it from anything that uses the network.

Edited by usasma, 08 November 2006 - 05:05 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 jormic

jormic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

Projectfocus,

The printer on my desktop is selected to sharing. When I enter \\jormic on my laptop "windows cannot find \\jormic'.

What next?

Thanks

#12 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:48 AM

That sounds like the PC's are not on the same Workgroup. If the workgroup name is different thaey will not be able to talk to each other.

Right click on the My Computer and select Properties. Then open the computer name tab and click change make sure that the Workgroup names are the same.
Posted Image

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

Here's a trick that sometimes works - it's called "account mirroring". Establish an account on each PC with the exact same name and password (don't just change the name of an existing account) and see if that helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users