Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install Xp Home Oem Over Non-genuine Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 billbrazil

billbrazil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:13 AM

Recently it was necessary to have my hard disk reformatted. Though I provided my XP Home recuperation CD, the repair service installed a non-genuine version of XP Professional.

I discovered this when attempting to install the IE7 - which produced the "non-genuine" response.

I still possess my recuperation CD and want to uninstall the existing XP Professional and replace it with the original version so I can take advantage of Microsoft updates

I need to know how to do this, without causing myself unnecessary problems.

If necessary, I can reformat the hard disk and do the original install, but would prefer to find some other way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

Your very last sentence is your safest and best way. At least you'll know it was done correctly, and you'll also know that you don't have any trailing residue of another program on your computer.

Since you're willing to do so, and I also agree with you, go with the clean install, and you should be fine from then on.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

Microsoft is only offering updates for XP with at least SP1 installed. You don't mention which version of XP Home you have on the disk, if you have SP1, then you can still get updates from Microsoft, including IE7, by going to

Start > All Programs > Windows Update

If you don't have at least SP1, then get a disk from Microsoft that will update your computer to SP2, and then get the rest of the updates using the method listed above.

You can order a disk of SP2 HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users