Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Hard Drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jen76

Jen76

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:59 AM

ok this is my first post here. i enjoy finding new forums where i can get help with my computer problems when they arise. anyways on to my problem.

my husbands laptop has suddenly for no apparent reason started beeping, its not like bios beep codes or anything that happens when u start your computer up, its a constant beep. he has had the laptop for a little over 4 months. its a sony vaio model number vgnfs950. for the past few days it had been acting really weird, being really slow for no known reason so we scanned for viruses to make sure that wasnt an issue and then while trying to figure what the hek was going on a popup came up from the system tray saying rundll32.exe corrupt file then it went on to say the pagefile.sys was corrupted. so i went on the internet looking for solutions. i came across something that said to go into safe mode and into the virtual memory settings and set the paging file to none and then reboot and delete the paging file if there is one and then set it to system managed so i did all that and it seemed fine to me after that. my husband was not satisfied so he formatted the drive using his recovery partition and thats when this all started. now it also when he restarts the computer or turns it off and then back on it gives him a screen that says

SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0. Toshiba MK8025GAS-(PM)
Immediately back up your data and replace your disk drive. Failure may be iminent.
Press F1 to continue.

so ok i get that this is obviously serious but what i want to know is if there is anything we can do to fix this ourselves w/o having to replace the drive. anyways thanx in advance for any help.

one more thing about all this. a couple days prior to all this my husband had defragged his laptop using windows defrag, he also may of done it using nortons speed disk, so he wouldve done it twice. could this of caused his problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hello Jen76,

All of what you've mention could have contributed to the immediate failure of the had drive. Meaning, it was on it's way out, but you/he helped it out a bit faster.

1. The first thing you want to do is to back up your data off of that drive.

2. Until you're ready to backup the drive, I'd highly recommend against starting up the computer and shutting it down. Beleieve me, you'll make it worse and it may not even boot up again.

3. If you have another computer you can connect the laptop to, do so and as long as the other computer has the COMPLETE room for your laptop hd, transfer it over to there.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE HD SPACE ON THE OTHER COMPUTER.

Although you reformatted it, you can still get your data off of it. If that's not an issue with the data, I'd suggest this.

To get your old data off of the drive, you can try :
Recover My Files
GetDataBack
Pc Inspector (FREE)
BadCopy

They can be time consuming, but if you want the data off that hd drive, those are the tools I'd start with.

Do a repartition of the drive. Don't use any software except the OS software to do it, then reformat it.

When you reinstall the Os and if that doesn't work, then chances are the hd is on the blink. And remember this:... if the hd IS going south on you, it may very well load up the next time without any problems ever being noticed, then all of a sudden..... well, you know.

Hope that helps!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

Sony has a built in utility to make a set of recovery dvds or cds. If you have not done this yet, I recommend that you do this immediately, as none are shipped with the laptop. all the original files are on the recovery partition on the hard drive. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use any other utilities than the ones provided with your laptop for any disk maintenance.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:10 PM

I agree that the most important thing to do right now is to backup your data and ensure that you have recovery disks for the system.

Once that's done, you can occasionally resurrect a hard drive (this isn't a sure cure - it's a "might work") by using the manufacturer's tools to perform a low-level format of the hard drive.

I'd suspect, in this case tho', that the SMART errors are correct and the hard drive is about to die.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users