Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phantom Duplicate "my Pictures" Folder Under "my Music"...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:17 AM

Hello and Good Wishes to all!!!

In my "My Pictures" folder, I have say sub folders named NY, NJ FL..ect......One day I go the FL and notice that it does NOT have all the pix that I thought should be in there. Days later I stumble on the missing pix and "trace" where they are. There is ANOTHER/the Phantom "My Pictures" folder under "My Music" all inclusive of NY, NJ, FL...ect....All this being under "My Documents" as they should be.

I certainly did NOT set this up in this fashion and I know it is taking up room. Has anyone ever heard of such an occurrence? I maintain a very clean computer...HEY...I spend a lot of time in "Security" here and follow many of their leads...lol

Has anyone ever encountered this or guess as to how it occurred?...Puzzling to say the least.....

P. S. This site is BY FAR one of the better ones going....TY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:08 AM

Not saying you did, but I installed a hd for a client/partner of mine this week, and when I looked at his hd,
1=NTFS and
1=FAT32

On each of his hd's (partitioned virtual drives), I noticed that he had the same exact folders/files on both hd's.

I gotta ask, (don't get offended).. is it possible that you created a My Pictures folder under the My Music folder, in which you put some of the files in the 2nd My Pictures folder and not realizing it? I'm just asking... because I'm wondering how my client/parter has the same exact files under both hd's.

It's also possible that what you're saying is a Phantom folder, but I've never heard of a case like this, (although new things happen everyday). I'm just wondering.

Are there other people with access to your computer (family members, friends, etc?)

Also, is your computer set to backup it's data? And if so, verify where it's actually backing it up to.

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:44 AM

Hello!!
And thanks for responding...AND..No offense at all.... Not when trying to figure out this contraption ..."No Worries Mon".. :thumbsup: I definitely did NOT set it up that way though with a new "My Pictures" under "My Music".

I do NOT truly understand the "partition" idea. Thus, I have not set-up Partitions anywhere. This computer was "born" with the NTFS and FAT set-up which has the "System Back-up" feature in "Accessories".. The only back-up I do is this. The WinXP Home does NOT come with the back-up that Professional does...BUT, I was able to get THAT "add-on" through a site and it seems to work well. But, it does not do THAT ( the Phantom). It is a file back-up that is copied to say the desk-top(and later deleted) and then to a CD. And, if that or any other back-up that I might have enabled is in effect, wouldn't it be doing it to ALL the files...? Which it not doing.....yet.. :flowers: lol This is the ONLY instance. Are ALL of your clients files being duplicated...? Not here though.

One other user and they would not and probably could not perform that task.

New things everyday....Well, I've heard of "sleep-walking"...Perhaps "sleep-computing"......Go to the video tape......I just don't know......

TY and let me know what you "dig-up with your clients issue.......

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:27 AM

Do this..

1. The extra folder in which the pictures shouldn't be in, move the picture to another location, or to where they should be.

2. The extra folder that shouldn't even be there... DELETE IT.

3. Do what you did before and try to duplicate the phantom folder, and see if it duplicates it.

If it doesn't do it, it may be one of those unusual things that happened. (but still, run a virus scan anyway)

If it does do it again, then your computer may be infected, or you could have a faulty program running.

Try the above then post back.

#5 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

Hello Again!!!!

Well, I copied the pix where I wanted them to go and deleted the "My Pictures" under "My Music. Then ran the Back-Up program, saved to desktop, rebooted, deleted from there and Recycle Bin, Rebooted and all that good stuff...lol

Glad to say that it did NOT happen...for now...lol We shall see I suspect and will keep my eyes open for a re-occurrence. We'll just have to play the "wait and see" game.

In the meantime, any and ALL observations are welcome....

Could be that sleep-computing thing...I gotta stop eating those 18" pizzas before going to bed......... :thumbsup:

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:35 AM

Anytime to think you fixed a problem, don't assume it's all a-ok. Be safe and sure. Still run a virus scan on your computer, and sleep while it's scanning.

#7 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

Hello Again!!!

Oh yeah Walkman...That really goes with out saying....I think I scan and defrag and Check Disk and on-line scan and set restore point and update and set restore points and "wave a dead chicken over the computer"(just to coin a phrase) and hold Novenas too!!!....lol HEY, can you think of anything else....

AND, thanks for the heads up....... :thumbsup:

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

Yeah,

I wouldn't put too much stock in that Restore Point.

If you have other means of backing up your data, like onto another hd, dvd's or such, do so, but not the Restore Point. Actually, it's a waste of time even attempting to do so, and it'll take up your hd space, and what good is it if your hd crashes, and your backup is still on it?

#9 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Hello Again!!!!

Thanks again Walkman..Thanks a GIG.....

I am forced to agree with you for sure. It does come in handy for some half-hearted attempts to correct SOMEthings.

Check out Post #3 as I do have a "real" back-up....The one that comes with Win Pro that I was able to download and utilize. Point AND points well taken.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users