Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Suddenly Stops On 3 Of 4 Computers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dpartn

dpartn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:21 AM

For the past two months I have had no problems with our home network. We have 4 computers that we use, though usually only two on any steady basis. But all 4 have worked fine. they are all used within a 25 x 25 foot room. The modem with built in wireless router is an Actiontec unit and the ISP is Verizon DSL.

This morning the internet simply failed to connect. Upon pulling up Network Connections there was indeed a connection stated with good signal. everything looking as it normally does. Modem had all the lights on POWER-DSL-INTERNET were all lit as was wireless.

Computers are two desktops and two notebooks. All running XP.
Now, I had chalked it up to verizon line trouble initially. But then I find my 2nd desktop works just fine. But my Dell Precision 670 wrokstation is still not able to pull up internet, the Dell M90 notebook can't either nor can the HP notebook. But for whatever reason the Compaq desktop can. They all are wireless only connections.

Now, if one of them is working,,,, how can three others not be?? that obviously means that the modem is getting DSL service fine and feeding it to the Compaq qithout issue. And the notebooks can be sitting right next to the router and still not pull a thing. It's not a matter of signal strength.

the three computers not getting internet All say they are properly connected to the router and appropriate network.

Anyone have a clue what this could be??? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:54 AM

What are the settings on the machines as far as IP settings. Are they all set to DHCP or is the machine that is working set to static. It could be a issue then with the DHCP of the Wireless Router. Another thing is can the wireless networks be seen from the other machines. I.e does it show as a network that it can connect to. Basically search for available networks and see what comes up. If this is not working then maybe have a look through the settngs of the wireless router from themachines that works. Try and see if the Mac address filter is on or if the DHCP have been changed. It could be that the SSID is disabled from being sent out to stop other connecting to it. enable it and see if you can see the network again.
Have a look at the security and see if has been disabled and try resetting the WEP / WPA Pasword. Then try reconnecting with the same details.

I maybe barking up the wrong tree but it gives a avenue to look down.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users