Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Everyone Come Here With Problems?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

I was perfectly successful with setting up my laptop with the Linksys wireless router. Now I don't know how to set up my desktop. I have a wireless adapter on it that seems to work wonderfully. Now I've changed ISP's and have to have this router. Anyway, do I unplug EVERYTHING and start over as if I hadn't ever seen it before? Won't that mess up the connection to the laptop? The instructional CD says things like, plug this into that which was connected to your computer. Well, my desktop computer is "wireless", so no cable was plugged into it, etc. It's really gotten me confused.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 November 2006 - 12:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

Well, to set this router up we would need a multitude of information that would boggle the mind and all of it would have to come from the new ISP. The best suggestion that I could offer and fastest is to call the new ISP tech support and while you are at the computer have them walk you thru the router/modem setup manually. Since they know all of the settings or their computers do it would be the fastest and most efficient way to handle this.

When I set up my Verizon I first went thru the installation CD which I found to be totally useless so I called their tech support and 15 minutes later I was on line.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Turn everything off
Then turn the modem on
Then turn the router on
Then turn the laptop on (with the wireless enabled)
Connect the laptop to the wireless network
Then turn the desktop on (with the wireless enabled)
Connect the desktop to the wireless network

This should enable all of your devices for the auto-discovery stuff that's needed in most networks. If it doesn't work, then either there's some settings that need to be changed (the ISP would know this), or there's a problem with the equipment.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users