Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Purpcat

Purpcat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

I keep getting the blue screen of death on my computer. After doing some research, it sounds like one of my memory sticks may be going bad. Here is my problem: I had a new motherboard and memory installed a year ago. Its a Syntax Motherboard. The guy that did the work is now out of business for obvious reasons. I gave him a computer that had 1gig of memory, and when he changed my motherboard, i wound up with only 512. I suspect he put an older version motherboard into my machine and I can't tell what the version number of the motherboard is. I pulled my memory out, and it says: 256 MB DDR 400MHz-CL3 PC3200U-30330. The computer is not only running very slow, but the blue screen continually comes up and I have to reboot.

I'm wondering if he put used memory into my computer. My question is this: How can I find out what exact motherboard was put into my computer? I looked for a model number on the board itself and couldn't find one. I want to know if I replace my memory, if I can go higher than 512MB total memory. After I had the motherboard installed, I had ordered a stick of 512 and we couldn't get it to fit. He told me that he thought it maxed out at 512 (2- 256 sticks).... I wasn't very happy at that point, but let it go when I shouldn't have. He told me the newer memory would work faster anyway than the older version of memory that I had. I suspect he just either ordered the wrong memory, or he really did sell me an out of date motherboard. Now, one year later, I'm having all kinds of problems and he is out of business. I checked my receipt, and he just wrote replaced motherboard on it. No brand, serial number or version. I have also done all normal maintenance (spyware, etc checks) and tried to keep the computer pretty clean. Any ideas? I feel pretty stupid at this point. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

Install a free program, called SIW.
Run the program.
On the left, click the "+" next to Hardware, and then click on Motherboard.
That should tell you everything you need.

You can also run Memtest86, to check if your memory is bad.

Edited by tg1911, 03 November 2006 - 07:32 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

Here is a handy program to have. It will give the info you are looking for.
http://www.gtopala.com/

SIW - System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala
Everything you want to know about your computer.

SIW performs computer configuration analysis and diagnostics. It gives detailed information about your computer properties and settings, detailed specs for:
- Software (Operating System, Installed Programs and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Passwords hidden behind asterisks, Installed Codecs),
- Hardware (Motherboard, Sensors, BIOS, CPU, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers),
- Network (Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections),
as well as real-time monitors for CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.
SIW can create a report file (CSV, HTML, TXT or XML), and is able to run in batch mode.
SIW is a standalone tool that does not require installation - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from a USB flash drive (Portable Freeware).
Platform:
Microsoft Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/Server 2003/Media Center/Tablet PC/Windows 2003 Server R2/Windows Server 2003 x64/Windows XP x64/Vista/ WinRE / Bart PE / Winternals ERD Commander
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Purpcat

Purpcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

Thank you so much. I'll try it.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

You're welcome, Purpcat.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users