Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Command Prompt & Spaces In The File Name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eyeofdreams

eyeofdreams

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

Hi,

I was playing around with the command prompt & must have changed some setting in it, but I don't know what. My problem is this: before when I typed in something like "cd My Documents" it would change the directory to "My Documents" but now when I type that in, it won't recognize the file name & will just complain that there is too many parameters.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eyeofdreams

eyeofdreams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

After some more poking around, I figured out that there are two versions of the command prompt: DOS & XP. If you run "command" then it will bring up the DOS version & "cmd" will bring up the XP version. So I guess I didn't change any settings. 'Problem' solved.

Heh...

Thanks anyways.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for reporting back on the resolution, since it may help another member with the same problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:36 PM

there are two versions of the command prompt: DOS & XP. If you run "command" then it will bring up the DOS version & "cmd" will bring up the XP version.

Correct. In 2000 or XP, cmd in the run box will start the 32 bit version. command is the 16 bit version available first on earlier versions of Windows, but held over on the later versions for compatability sake.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users