Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Make Hidden Files Show

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

Even though I go to the folder options and select show hidden files and folders, when I click ok, It's like I never did any changes, when I open the folder options again it's still marked do not show hidden files and folders.

I even did the regedit thing and it didn't work.

Hope you can help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:37 PM

Did you make sure to check "apply to all folders" before you saved or clicked OK?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

yes and it still doesn`t work

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:58 AM

this could be a user account issue. Are you the local admin of the machine?
Posted Image

#5 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:33 PM

Um, I dunno, since I live in Mexico my PC is in spanish, but if i'ts relevant, there's only one account in my PC

#6 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:18 PM

Any more takers on the topic?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

Which regedit thing did you do?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

my pc/hkey_current_user/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/advanced/hidden
then I changed 0 to 1
it was supposed to let me change the option of viewing or not hidden files, but nothing happened.
changed it back, nothing happened

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

First, backup your registry, then cruise to the same key in Hkey_Local_Machine (Rather than Hkey_Current_User) and see what it's set at.

my pc/hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/advanced/hidden
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

Sorry if I look dumb or anything, but how do I backup my registry?

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

Go to "Folder Options" in the control panel, click the "View" tab.

Uncheck both "do not show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected Operating System Files"

Click "Apply" and exiit.

#12 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

Go to "Folder Options" in the control panel, click the "View" tab.

Uncheck both "do not show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected Operating System Files"

Click "Apply" and exiit.

Done that, no good. Thanks so much anyway Enthusiast

Edited by emefobia, 13 November 2006 - 08:03 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:35 AM

To backup the registry you can go to the File menu item in Regedit and select Export. Then ensure that you check the "All" button at the bottom of the page before setting a filename to save it as.

#14 Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

usasma:
under hidden there are two branches "NOHIDDEN" & "SHOWALL".
under NOHIDDEN there are: CheckValue, DefaultValue, HelpID, HKeyRoot, Regpath, Text, Type & ValueName

under SHOWALL there are the same

What do I do next?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

Backup each key, individually, to your desktop (both in HKLM and HKCU).

Then, it's up to you. I haven't worked with this branch of the registry before - so I don't know what the values do. Just remember that, before doing anything iffy - Google is your friend.

A system backup might be a good idea at this point - just in case. Then a bit of experimenting with the values may yield some results. I'd suggest working with the HKCU key first (that way, should you crash the profile, you can still get into the machine on another profile).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users