Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imaging Problem/duplicate Computer Names

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thee Ox

Thee Ox

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all.

I have imaged 4 Dell Dimension 6100's with an image I created from a Dell 6000. Image was the 6000's HD.
I connected one to a network. Worked well.
However, when I tried to connect the other Dells to the network, I got an error message stating that there were duplicate computer names - even though I changed the names of all the Dells.
In fact, all the Dells see only the original name of the computer name of the original imaged computer.
No mater how many times I attempt to change names, all the Dells see is the imaged computer name.

I've imaged before and have never had this problem happen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
:thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum, and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 November 2006 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:12 AM

What the image does is create an exact copy of the entire hard drive.

So, you're now running 4 clones of the original hard drive.

While this brings up some interesting things about the interpretation of the EULA - what you have is 4 clones of the original setup.

This differs from an unattended setup install in that it copies everything, to include the security information, onto the destination PC's. Security-wise, PC1 is no different from PC 2 - BUT - it's got a different IP address and a different MAC address.

While I haven't checked this with computer names, I have checked it with account names - and Windows doesn't change the name of the folder in Documents and Settings no matter how often you change the name of the account. I suspect that this is similar to what's happening here.

Also, each computer has a particular SID (Security Identifiable Descriptor - or something similiar) - and you've cloned this descriptor to several different computers.

My suggestion would be to run a repair install of XP on each system using the original install disks for each system. This may or may not work - but is a whole heck of a lot easier than a clean install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

Ghosting machines if using a VLA (Volume Licence Agreement) is fine and no issues with the setup if done from the correct install CD supplied with the Licence.
If you are having issues changing the name try changing it to a worksgroup or change the name of the woprkgroup if that is how they are being used. Change the bname of the machine at the same time. Re-Start the machine and then change it onto the correct Domain / Workgroup. This should then change the name.
Posted Image

#4 Thee Ox

Thee Ox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users