Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 7.0

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:40 AM

.. but that could be me. A few days or so ago.. my ad-aware detected a virus called Java/ByteVerify well my former version of AVG didn't detect it. I thought it must be a false positive. But the new version is detecting it. Now the AVG seems to just put it in a vault.. Now I can delete the file out of the vault but I am wondering if that will also kill the virus too? This new version is pretty confusing.. and mostly seems geared to getting people to buy the full version.

Anyway I have a lot of stuff in this vault that I didn't even know was in there. I checked around and saw that this Java/ByteVerify was considered critical.. and I saw it was also not a big problem. I am confused if this is affecting my Java Runtime Environment. I have wanted to uninstll JRE but the son needs it.. thats right.. for yet another game.

I guess my specific question is if anyone else is using the new AVG and how it is for them.. And I would also like to know what I typed above.. if I delete files out of the vault, does that delete the virus too.. or does it just clear the vault out.

LOL I would actually prefer to just ditch the AVG and try something new for an AV program but I have tried most of them and really would not know what to try next. LOL

As it is for now.. I am going to Trendmicro and get an on-line scan LOL hehe That seems the best thing to do now. LOL

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:33 PM

I use the online scan of uh......Trend micro.I have avg on my old pc. I also use a outdated version of norton(2002).
Yeah go trend micro!

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:06 PM

Pandy I found this info. on Grisoft's Website.

Java/ByteVerify
This virus abuses the security vulnerability in Java Virtual Machine described in MS03-011, which gives posibility of runing potentially dangerous operation to java program (like working with files).

Trojan horse using this vulnerability changes Internet Explorer Home page.

The fix is available on Microsoft web pages like WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grisoft, Inc. © 2003 top webmaster homepage
Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:21 PM

AVG puts viruses it finds in a vault where they can do no further damage, but where you can retrieve them if there is, for example, a false positive. I usually wait a day or two and then delete the files.
Cheers,
John

Post script:
I don't like the new version, either, although I think it is much improved; I could not get it to scan Emails without it stopping me from SENDING Emails either using OE or Mozilla. I found the "instructions" on configuring it to work with those clients completely confusing, and after three attempts to follow their directions, I turned that part of it off (my ISP, fortunately, scans Emails for viruses).

John

Edited by jgweed, 21 December 2004 - 01:25 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:56 AM

Hmm. I have had trouble with the e-mail scanner too. It won't work for all of the users. I had to reboot last night because it was not functioning.. reboot fixed it tho.. and it seems OK now. It hasn't stopped me from sending anything yet. lol

OK as for this Java/ByteVerify... Avg says it cannot heal it delete it or put it in a vault. Could that mean it is a false positive?? I do not know really what to do about this. I did the on line scan at trend micro... and it was the same thing... access denied. Could a false positive be this stubborn? Or maybe it can't do anything with it because it is a false positive... my confusion is complete. LOL

Here is a shot of the scan.. it is big so I hosted it LOL

Posted Image

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:59 AM

My thought is that AVG is working, and you have an imbedded virus. One that modified your Java RuntimeEnvironment. Java can be uninstalled/reinstalled and the effected
C:\Documents and Settings\xx\ Application Data \xx could be removed. A virus embedded ... my guess is can't be simply placed in the vault for removal. It has been identified, I don't think it's a false positive.

my .02 worth. Never seen it b4.

:flowers:

You could double-check the results, perhaps. virus file scan.

As for access denied, you could try doing the deletion in safe mode. -or-

Try right-clicking on the file(s) involved to get your properties display, check "sharing" and 'security" to see what it shows, also.

I would actually prefer to just ditch the AVG

If it's not a false positive, then this program is working well. Others may not work as well, I've found. yeah, it's a hassle... but it's there. I'd like to hear more of what you find. :thumbsup:

EDIT: having read raw's advice, it would seem you can clear "cache". I couldn't find that exact operation detailed in the control panel. (see image) but you no doubt will.
java control panel

Edited by phawgg, 22 December 2004 - 11:34 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:22 AM

Go to your control panel and double click the Java Control Panel applet>cache tab>clear cache.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:08 PM

Ok what I have done is go to control panel/java plug ins/cache/clear..

Doing another scan now with the AVG... and the Java/ByteVerify is still there.. I guess raw's idea didn't work. I was hoping it would be that easy.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:24 PM

Pandy,

Please read this item.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic6497.html#

Then uninstall/delete your current Java & reload with the patched version as noted.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:54 PM

LOL Thank you Koan.. I will get right on that ASAP. TYTY :thumbsup:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:55 PM

From the "TalkBack" responses ( bottom of page) to the article Koan linked you to, I found this:

After downloading and installing the JRE 1.4.2_06 update from Sun's Java website, I had to select that version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) manually in the Java Plug-In Control Panel. That panel resides in the Windows Control Panel. Select the "Advanced" tab from the Java Plug-In Control Panel, and select J2RE 1.4.2_06 from the drop-down listbox. Next, click on the "Apply" button. To make sure this was done correctly, click on the "About" tab and check that 1.4.2_06 is shown under Runtime Environment. Now, my applets that failed before run correctly.

Probably time to update. I have J2RE 1.4.2_05 Here's the downloaded files involved with the old version. To compare them to the new ones. Might help to avoid confusion to ID the current ones on your machine in a similar way. Unistallations being what they sometimes are... incomplete in some ways. IMO
Posted Image. It's a long download. I wish it was just a couple hundred kb patch. :thumbsup:

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:38 PM

Update Java says I am but I have exactly what is shown above. :thumbsup:

Might help to avoid confusion to ID the current ones on your machine in a similar way.

On second thought, maybe there is no way to avoid confusion. :flowers:

OK as for this Java/ByteVerify... Avg says it cannot heal it delete it or put it in a vault. Could that mean it is a false positive??

I still think if it's embedded it can't fix it. Uninstall, delete effected files, reinstall & your son can play games & you can visit chat in FF. I tend to believe an updated AVG & it's evidence of problems.
(or lack of that evidence if an online scan gives me another result) It's certainly something to think about & go in circles over until it's resolved. :trumpet:

#13 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:03 AM

Well OK then.. I uninstalled the java and reinstalled it.. I tried it in my Firefox.. but the first time I tried it I had an error.. it just said it couldn't install.. so I tried it again.. it started but I decided maybe I should just use the Mozilla. It worked.. I already tested out the chat and the Java works... I didn't mention an odd thing.. Yesterday I logged into the chat room and when I got in there.. the cursor was going crazy in the typing field.. it was going like I had the space bar down.. I couldn't get it to stop. LOL But anyway thank you everyone for your replies. :trumpet: :flowers: :thumbsup:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#14 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:08 AM

Oh... I would also say that the AVG 7.0 seems to be a bit better. I must be getting used to it. LoL.. sometimes I do not give things a chance. And the e-mail problem I had happened again, right after an update.. All I had to do was right click on the e-mail scanning button and click activate. hehehe Last night when that happened I rebooted.. but that fixed it too so :thumbsup: :flowers:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:17 AM

OMGOMG... the Java/ByteVerify is back.. that really stinks. I uninstalled the Java I had.. and DL the new.. which took a long time.. and now it is back when I thought I was OK. :flowers: :inlove: :trumpet: :thumbsup: Wanna toss this box out the frockin window!!!!!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users