Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scandisk Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pjsask

pjsask

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi. I have a older computer running ME, It will constantly freeze up and i have to unplug to get it up again.
When it starts back up, an scandisk trys to run it won't work, it says another program is writing to disk, failed over 10 time do i want to keep trying. It will even do this when running in safe mode. I bought it second hand, and have had the crashing problem since the start, i started a wireless network with my other computer, things got worse so i formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows, the problem came back very quick. I had someone help me with a highjack this log and he said my computer was clean, no maleware, but it still have the problems. Would love help if anyone can. The computer is making me angry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hi pjsask,
One of my computers (98SE) is very 'picky' this way too. I've found that if I disconnected from the internet and closed all programs in the task bar ... and stopped the screensaver from running, I was able to get through a scandisk.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 pjsask

pjsask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

I also Find sometimes programs seem to be running slow so i restart Windows and i get the blue screen with error : 0E : 017F : BFF77328
Then it says hit return to go back to windows or control alt del , to restart but nothing works, i have to unplug.
I will try the removing internet and disabling screen saver but i would like to get to the root of the constant errors and crashing.

#4 pjsask

pjsask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

i disconnected internet conection, disabled virus protection, and disabled the screen saver, scan disk still did not work.

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

This may be a Windows issue but, because it was not solved by a reformat, I think it is more likely to be a hard disk problem. I suggest you first go to the hardware forum and look at the pinned topic with info on hard disk diagnostic tools. If you have trouble finding or running the test post a question on the hardware forum.

Also, if you have not done so, you should back up any data you have on this drive.

#6 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hi. I have a older computer running ME, It will constantly freeze up...

Would love help if anyone can. The computer is making me angry.

Hi pjsask:

I used to have the same problem with ME. It's an extremely unstable OS.

I finally got so fed up of it I replaced it with Windows 2000 and have been a happy surfer ever since.

Cheers,

scratcher.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users