Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Javascript To Create A Dropdown Menu And To Display Text

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arenlor

Arenlor

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

OK the dropdown menu needs to pass a value to PHP I can use the PHP and create the menu and all, the thing is I want it so that the user doesn't need to click a button, rather they can just select the item. I don't know JavaScript and can't find a good tutorial and have given up looking, if oyu know any that can teach it please tell me.

The other thing I want to do is on a mouseover have it display some text beneath what they hovered over, and when they mouse off to hide that text again. This is what I have done so far, as you can see it writes the text over the entire page, which is NOT what I want it to do. http://doumc.com/?p=adult.php
any help would be good, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:37 PM

What software are you using for your web development? There are literally countless links to what you're trying to do. It's been done countless times, especially using .PHP. I have some scripts that I have that do exactly what you want to do, but they're all backed up on dvd's right now. I'd have to look for them. But if you do a search on FREE javascripts, you'll come across alot of results, and many of them will be catered to your exact usage. I've done a similar dropdown than yours. I'm using DreamweaverMX 2004.

Also, that link you posted, I'm using PeerGuardian 2, and it blocks that site with the range name of: www.privacysoftwarereport.com[Spy]. I'd be careful of that site.

#3 Arenlor

Arenlor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

all I can say is why in the world is my church's site blocked? And I can't find any scripts to send a variable to PHP is the problem. And the software I use is called notepad.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

Your site might be hosted on a banned ip address and (or) block. If I were you, I'd for one, start using PeerGuardian 2, and 2, do a check on the ip address of your host and verify if they're really on a blocked list. But, from what I saw, it is on a blocked list, and if your site has many visitors or you're expecting many visitors... you should be aware that there are millions of people that use PeerGuardian alone, and then there are millions of people using HOST files and other blocked lists, so it will affect you and your site.

I'll get a few links together for you that have FREE .PHP development softwares, where you can construct and test your .php files without putting them online first.

#5 Arenlor

Arenlor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

That list would be great. I'll have to talk to Wayne about trying to get them to switch our IP around some I guess.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

I still have the programs on my computer, but the javascript files I'll have to look for. In the meantime, check out the links below. They'll be a wealth of help for you.

This is a link to PHP Designer 2007
http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php

It's FREE for personal use only. The good thing about this program is that you don't have to have PHP installed on your computer to use it, but you'll need PHP for debugging your scripts.
-------------------------------------------------------------

This is a link to PHPBuilder
http://www.phpbuilder.com/

This is a community that focuses on php and what you're wanting to do. They have loads of tricks and tips on using PHP and the like.
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a link to PHP Expert Editor
http://www.ankord.com/

I thought this one was FREE, but it's Shareware.
Note: PHP Expert Editor works fine without PHP, but you can not run and debug scripts without PHP.

Check them out, and what you're wanting to do, you'll be able to it way before the trial period runs out.

Once I find my actual files I have, I'll post them,,, but this should give you a good start on your venture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users