Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 martindale66

martindale66

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hi,

I'm running xp professional on a second hand compac computer - I do not have any recovery discs or similar.

When I turn on the computer the 'Compac' welcome screen appears along with options

'F10 Setup'
'F12 Network service boot'

This is as normal.

Then I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left and corner.

Not sure what to do.
Is it time to buy a new computer?

Edited by martindale66, 03 November 2006 - 03:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

Is it time to buy a new computer?

Not yet!

Let's see what else this baby can do! First let's see if it will boot into safe mode.
  • Restart your computer
  • Repeatedly hit the F8 key while your computer is starting
  • Choose Safe Mode when prompted

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 martindale66

martindale66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:02 PM

Tried 'F8' and got a blank screen with flashing cursur etc.

Sorry, hi, thank for the help.

Edited by martindale66, 03 November 2006 - 05:05 PM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

Well, it is hard to say what the issue is exactly. What I would try next is to enter the BIOS setup. According to your first post, you acheive this by pressing F10 at bootup. First I would want to know if the BIOS can see the hard drive. Then I look for "Load Default Settings". Tell it to load the default settings and exit BIOS saving the new settings, and then reboot and see if anything different happens.

If no joy, you could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

You could always look around on eBay or elsewhere for recovery disks. They can usually be purchased from the manufacturer fairly inexpensively, but they are not always available. Like I said, sometimes they will be for sale on eBay. You need the recovery disks to get to the next troubleshooting/repair step (unless someone else here at Bleeping Computer has a different idea).
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 martindale66

martindale66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

I've tried what you suggested,
The computer is reconisising the hard drive and it is set to boot from the hard drive.
I took the computer back to where I bought it.
They told me the hard drive is faulty, as i had a new hard drive installed when I bought the computer this comes with a 3 year warranty, so it should get fixed.
Regarding recovering the data from the defunct drive, I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say.

Thanks again, I'll let you know the outcome.
Regards...

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Regarding recovering the data from the defunct drive, I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say.

Don't hold your breathe, unfortunetly. Backup your data. Backup your data. Backup your data.

I have read that hard drive failures account for 50% of computer failures. Did I mention to backup your data regularly?

Thanks again, I'll let you know the outcome.

You are welcome. I would like to know the outcome. I hope it is good news for you.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users